Thread: Hand lotion page

Maurabela is offline Member

Hand lotion

Shop Now
    What do you guys use? I use hand lotion and chapstick very regularly (obsessively) and am thinking it might be time to consider something a little more natural...

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil, with a bit of olive oil mixed in to keep it at least slightly soft in cold temps. Works wonders.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil! As tangentrider says, melt it and add in some other oil that is liquid at room temperature so that it is easier to put on. I make about a pint at a time. I melt it in a small crock pot so that it isn't at any risk of over heating. Once it is well warmed and liquid, I add the thinner oil and mix well. I go about one part thinner oil to five parts coconut, but experiment to see what you like. I also add about a 1/4 tsp of food grade essential oils for fragrance/taste. This will result in something the consistency of cold cream. I keep it in wide mouth 1/2 pint jars, which make it easy to dip.

If you make it more like one part thinner oil to two parts coconut oil, you get something which is like a heavy oil consistency at room temperature.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I use Aubrey Organics products.

Maurabela is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Coconut oil! As tangentrider says, melt it and add in some other oil that is liquid at room temperature so that it is easier to put on. I make about a pint at a time. I melt it in a small crock pot so that it isn't at any risk of over heating. Once it is well warmed and liquid, I add the thinner oil and mix well. I go about one part thinner oil to five parts coconut, but experiment to see what you like. I also add about a 1/4 tsp of food grade essential oils for fragrance/taste. This will result in something the consistency of cold cream. I keep it in wide mouth 1/2 pint jars, which make it easy to dip.

If you make it more like one part thinner oil to two parts coconut oil, you get something which is like a heavy oil consistency at room temperature.
    Thanks slacker! Can't wait to try this

beachrat is offline Senior Member

Yes, thanks! This is brilliant.

Lots of people mention coconut oil but I've been having trouble with the idea of chipping out the chunks of hard white stuff and using them to soften my skin! You and tangentrider have made the whole idea so much more reasonable, LOL.

I find this WOE is so much better for my skin without even trying, but a few areas could still use a little help in the winter. This sounds like just the ticket.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for CO!

My hands were in the wee early stages of showing first signs of aging. (Oh HELL no, I said!) That disappeared quickly as soon as I started using CO. I have been noticing the hands of other women my age (41), and mine look better.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Primalhound is offline Member
    Thanks for the mix-in tip! I was also wondering how the hard coconut oil would work as lotion. I'll make some up this weekend. My legs are terribly dry.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I like the ideas on the coconut oil. I have been using it for lotion in general for about two weeks now, but in Colorado winter, it is solid state and a pain. I started putting it on the heat register in the bathroom and some mornings it is soft or liquid...woohoo. But mixing in some other oils seems like a much better plan .

My hands as of late seem to be really suffering this winter. I have tried a few things to soften them, but I tend to do a lot of cleaning and cooking so they are always getting washed. I have started using less soap and trying to just rinse rather then 'wash' when possible. I handle raw meat though several times a day with raw feeding of animals and cooking, and as much as I would like to just rinse there....I still feel the need to 'wash' them to some degree. Think I will make up a batch of the coconut oil mixture and put it on the kitchen counter and try that throughout the day.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member

Thanks for adding detail. I pretty much winged it when I added the olive oil. It certainly helped the consistency--even in a room with very little insulation in freezing temps.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.