Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prostatitis? page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Prostatitis?

Primal Fuel
    This is kind of embarrassing I guess, but here goes:

I was having some urethra pain and went to the dr. I did all these tests including all the std's, and everything was negative. They determined I had urethritis. So I went on some antibiotics. They didn't work. Went to a different antibiotic. That didn't work. I saw a different doctor, and he thought it might be prostate-related. So he gave me flowmax, which is what they give old men with enlarged prostates who have to pee all the time. That didn't work.

By this point I'm super frustrated. So I got a referral to a urologist.
    The urologist asked me some questions, checked my prostate (yeah, fun times), and said I have prostatitis, and that he sees this all the time from men of all ages. So he gave me an antibiotic, a prescription for high dose Motrin, and recommended Saw Palmetto. Been doing that regimin for 8 days no and no relief! Going back in to this guy tomorrow.

Anyone heard of this thing? Apparently, no one knows what the cause is or how to prevent it. It's REALLY frustrating. It involves constant discomfort, a low sex drive, and some pain. I was going along just fine before this, perfectly healthy, eating paleo/primal and now 3 months have gone by and I can't find a cure! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have no primary experience with this, but have read that some prostate problems are caused by iodine deficiency - which is apparently making a come back in the US.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james37.htm

I took iodine and found positive health benefits with it....but don't go overboard with it.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I'm dealing with the same thing, or something similar. Testicular pain, a plethora of urinary problems, absolutely no sex drive to speak of.

I spent an entire month running around between hospitals, doctor's offices and urologists. Nobody can find anything wrong. I'm pretty sure it's prostatitis though, judging by my symptoms, the vast amount of research I've done, and how notoriously hard it is to get this condition diagnosed. Isn't it the most frustrating thing when they look you in the face and tell you you're fine when mere hours ago you were in excruciating pain?

Mine seems to be getting a little bit better. I've been doing lots of research, and I think for me, the problem may be a mixture of excess muscle tension and prolonged sitting, both of which put pressure on the prostate and fuck up the circulation to that whole area, which can cause problems. I've upped my vitamin D intake to 10,000 I.U. daily and try to be more mindful of how tensed my muscles are (especially those in my lower body) and I also try to get up and walk around or do a quick set of bodyweight exercises when I feel like I've been sitting for too long. Another thing that I find helpful (really sorry if this is TMI) is ejaculating daily. It's difficult when you have no sex drive, but I find that keeping the pipes flowing so to speak really eases up some of the discomfort.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I'm feeling pretty good down there and yet for some reason I also find ejaculating daily to be pretty helpful as well.

uh.

yeah.

edit: I recommend upping the dosage to twice daily it could cure you

edit2: gosh dangit sometimes I amaze myself, I completely forgot to actually type out the helpful part.

I remember when a relative of mine had these exact same symptoms and he was told the exact same things you were, styro and monkey. Basically after getting the run around over and over again someone finally figured out what it was: a varicose vein running through the testicles. It took them -forever- to figure this out and once treated all the problems stopped instantly. Basically, a combination of sitting all day with an office job and his recent weight loss caused the varicose vein to form and it was able to be treated passively. Unfortunately I don't know what the treatment was, but I know he didn't have to get cut on or anything.

Basically I'm recommending you go get an ultrasound technician to smoosh your nuts around a bit.
    Last edited by Rivvin; 01-26-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Hil
    Hil is offline Member
    My hubs had this along with a bout of epiditimitis. It seemed to be a muscular thing in his case and eased up with hot baths (not good for fertility) and not sitting on the toilet too long. I think he did the flomax and antibiotics too. good luck, it must suck mightily.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I had an ultrasound done in the ER after one of my more severe bouts of pain, and I was told that they were unable to find anything wrong. The urologist I went to double-checked the scans and said the same thing.

At least I had a cute ultrasound tech, I suppose.

Wow, thanks so much everyone for the feedback!

Styro- sorry to hear about your problems. sounds like mine may be a bit different (but similar). No sex drive is probably my worst symptom, because it's depressing. But the high level of discomfort all the time is definitely next. I don't much pain though, only on occasion (like when I really have to pee). My doctor told me to ejaculate 4x a week, but the problem has been when I do, I feel terrible the next day, like I have the flu! I'm not sure that sitting is my issue...but it might not be helping. Anyway thanks again for your feedback. I think my uro guy said ultrasound would be next and they may prescribe some kind of steroid.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Buy the book "Headache in the Pelvis"

Here's what the book will suggest: you got some sort of infection or swelling for who knows what reason. Because it's in an area of your body that you feel particularly fond of/protective of, the discomfort makes you clench your perineum--the muscular pelvic floor. Eventually, the discomfort from the original issue goes away as it heals, but you end up with muscle soreness from endless clenching, so you keep clenching. Most men don't even realize they HAVE a pelvic floor (us women are all too aware that we have one!) so they're unaware that they're clenching it and therefore can't release it. The book tells you how to release the tension.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Buy the book "Headache in the Pelvis"

Here's what the book will suggest: you got some sort of infection or swelling for who knows what reason. Because it's in an area of your body that you feel particularly fond of/protective of, the discomfort makes you clench your perineum--the muscular pelvic floor. Eventually, the discomfort from the original issue goes away as it heals, but you end up with muscle soreness from endless clenching, so you keep clenching. Most men don't even realize they HAVE a pelvic floor (us women are all too aware that we have one!) so they're unaware that they're clenching it and therefore can't release it. The book tells you how to release the tension.
    Interesting, thanks! I don't feel like I'm clenching, but maybe it's an unconscious thing?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
    Interesting, thanks! I don't feel like I'm clenching, but maybe it's an unconscious thing?
    Exactly. Cured my husband in a matter of a few days after months of anxiety, testing, and supplements.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast