Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird food intolerances/reactions to additives. page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

Cool Weird food intolerances/reactions to additives.

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I figure if I don't get any love here on this forum regarding these two issues, I may as well give up! There shall be no hope whatsoever for me. So far, anywhere else I've ever asked about these two things, I've gotten odd looks, odd replies, and sometimes flat out been told I've offended. Food is a hot button topic!
    Anyway, my first weirdness is a moldy taste when I eat farmed fish/seafood. If I push through the moldy taste and keep eating, I end up very ill. A clued-in fishery biologists' son at a New Seasons Market in Portland said it was probably caused by chemicals used in the sewers the farmed fish/seafood are raised in. Appetising, hmm? Why the hell does anyone eat tilapia, anyway??? Eeesh. I've noticed brazil nuts trigger that moldy taste too so I'm presuming it's a cosmic sign to stay the hell away.
    Second is the big one for me: Australia is the land of brown eggs. A couple years ago I noticed a very strong, distinct fishy stink to eggs I'd been buying at our local monopoly/supermarket. I thought they were suddenly selling a high percentage of rotten eggs. If I slipped up and actually was somehow able to get past the stink and get one of those eggs into my mouth....it tasted worse than it smelled. Did a little research - apparently some breeds of hen that lay brown eggs will metabolise feeds with soy/canola meal into a fishy smell and taste. So I switched to cage-free eggs primarily and really prefer to buy free range but those aren't always available. When I rattle on about this, I begin to get the looks. Has anyone else ever had this experience? I guess I'm looking for validation outside my family circle because my kids and husband notice the stink to a lesser degree. Sometimes even the more expensive eggs have this taint.
    I bought something called "Veggs" once...eggs from hens fed a vegetarian diet...for your vegetarian family. What on earth is that all about? Someone obviously doesn't know hens love bugs and worms which sure doesn't sound vegetarian to me! (I have several magpies that come twice a day to my backyard to be hand-fed ground beef. Birds aren't vegetarian!)
    Ok, rant over. Am I just weird? Anyone else have things to share to let me know I'm not alone in my oddness???

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    re: eggs tasting fishy - Depending on where you are, some feed plants will use fish meal as a primary protein source in a laying feed and the eggs can most definitely taste fishy. Not sure that is the problem, but a possibility.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I would say, if something tastes mouldy, it's a sign you shouldn't eat it! You are definitely not crazy. Some people are more sensitive than others, you just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

Or perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones? After I wrote this original post this morning, I had a ponder that lead me back to our ancestors and how they learned to navigate their world. I guess a strong signal like a mouldy taste or a weird smell would be a definite "don't eat this!" signal they would ignore at their peril....I've always thought we were probably really tuned in to things like ESP as new humans, earth sense or whatever you want to call it just as a survival skill.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Listen to your body.

Also, as Soil said, depending on where you are, they could very well give fish to the chickens as feed. They do that here in Atlantic Canada, so I actually either buy local, grass fed or go to Costco where they get in the chickens from out of town. There are a few places that sell chicken here that I avoid like the plague. I've mentioned the fishy smell/taste before to people and they look at me funny too.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    On a related note, I often have a similar experience regarding pork and pork products. Maybe 25% of the time that I try to eat them, they have a very off-putting "rotten" taste that is repugnant to me. I have never figured out what causes this, why it tastes bad only some of the time, and why nobody else ever seems to notice it.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 01-27-2011 at 01:06 PM.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    New England also is home to brown eggs, not sure why, in fact white eggs only ever appeared at easter for dying when I was younger. I buy cage free vegetarian feed yadayada eggs and never have had a fishy taste. I can't see that the breed of hen would make any difference, it more likely is the feed.

Fideo is offline Junior Member
    A little off topic, but in line with your title. I experience extreme nausea if I eat farm raised salmon. However wild salmon cooked, canned, smoked, or raw does not create the same response.

I shouldn't be smiling over people's discomforts but I have got to tell you it's good to be validated!
    I tried this egg discussion on an allergy forum and pretty much got told I was akin to a communist or something equally upsetting. Seems to be we're all designed quite well to know what we should be eating, and shouldn't.
    Thanks, everyone!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    on a side note, Richard at free the animal talked about a metallic taste after eating pinenuts.... I only realised then that I've had the same problem a few times. So no you're not nuts, maybe its just something in your own particular tastebuds though?? Who knows. I know that the whole mouldy thing does my head in... how anyone can eat blue cheese is just beyond me... it stinks and tastes absolutely revolting.. but each to their own eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast