Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I might be overdoing the carbs page

heatherok is offline Junior Member

I think I might be overdoing the carbs

Primal Fuel
    I am brand new to primal eating. So far today, I've had 115 grams of carbs (4 cups broccoli, 6 oz blueberries, 2 small bananas, 1 avocado.) So have I already blown it for today? I am 300 pounds, so I need to lose weight and should probably be under 100 for the entire day.

Oh, and so far today, I've eaten 1476 calories and burned 3000. And I'm feeling pretty hungry.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't say you've blown it, but I wouldn't add to those carbs. Have a nice meaty & fatty dinner (maybe bacon & eggs, steak, or roasted chicken), & then head to bed.

q - how on earth could you have burned 3k?
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

soniayak is offline Member
    Don't kick yourself! Rome wasn't built in a day! I've been primal for about 9 months now, and I've lost 60 lbs. I didn't count my carbs at all the whole time. You probably ate one too many bananas- but as long as you're working at it, you'll be fine. And you should definitely NOT be "really hungry" (unless you're fasting!).

Just do your best to eat cleanly and don't eat too much fruit, and you should be fine! If you're still hungry after meals, eat more! Have two fish fillets instead of one. Eat a handful of almonds after you have your morning eggs. Don't go crazy- but don't be miserably hungry, either. When you're hungry, you start to eat stuff you shouldn't for the sake of filling your belly.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Way too much fruit if your goal is to lose weight. If you cut out the berries and the bananas you'd be fine. The reason you are probably hungry is because you have been feeding your body sugar. The last thing you should be eating is something sweet.

As a rule of thumb avoid sweet tasting things, even artificial sweeteners, even "healthy" fruit (loaded with sugar). These foods will not aid your cause in losing weight but rather sabotage your efforts. You need to move towards a more keteogenic metabolism that produces it's energy from protein, vegetables and fat in order to start melting that fat.

And it will happen! But before you can start you are going to have force your body to stop injesting sugar. At first it will behave like a disobedient dog. Keep with the program though and the cravings will subside. Your body will change to accept different macro nutrients in place of hyperglycemic carbohydrates. Once this happens you will no longer lust for it.

Some "experts" (Robb Wolf comes to mind) recommend upping your protein intake drastically (1 g per 1lb body weight a day) to someone in your situation who is assumedly a carb a holic. This helps to satiate food cravings and steer their metabolism away from obtaining glucose from carbohydrate sources and instead from gluconeogenesis of fat and protein.
    ad astra per aspera

krassi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Way too much fruit if your goal is to lose weight. If you cut out the berries and the bananas you'd be fine. The reason you are probably hungry is because you have been feeding your body sugar. The last thing you should be eating is something sweet.

As a rule of thumb avoid sweet tasting things, even artificial sweeteners, even "healthy" fruit (loaded with sugar). These foods will not aid your cause in losing weight but rather sabotage your efforts. You need to move towards a more keteogenic metabolism that produces it's energy from protein, vegetables and fat in order to start melting that fat.

And it will happen! But before you can start you are going to have force your body to stop injesting sugar. At first it will behave like a disobedient dog. Keep with the program though and the cravings will subside. Your body will change to accept different macro nutrients in place of hyperglycemic carbohydrates. Once this happens you will no longer lust for it.

Some "experts" (Robb Wolf comes to mind) recommend upping your protein intake drastically (1 g per 1lb body weight a day) to someone in your situation who is assumedly a carb a holic. This helps to satiate food cravings and steer their metabolism away from obtaining glucose from carbohydrate sources and instead from gluconeogenesis of fat and protein.
    I have to disagree. An overweight person, just gone paleo, eating 115g of carbs in a day is probably a MAJOR step down from the previous diet.

I'd say maybe skip that second banana, but anyways keep your carbs about 100-150 grams, possibly even lower to accelerate your fat loss. If you're feeling hungry eat a meal with a lot of protein and fat.

And I don't recommend obsessive calorie counting, if you eat primal and keep your carbs to a sensible level you should most definitely lose weight, especially at the beginning of your diet. If you reach a plateau some time then maybe you need to tweak something.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krassi View Post
    I have to disagree. An overweight person, just gone paleo, eating 115g of carbs in a day is probably a MAJOR step down from the previous diet.

I'd say maybe skip that second banana, but anyways keep your carbs about 100-150 grams, possibly even lower to accelerate your fat loss. If you're feeling hungry eat a meal with a lot of protein and fat.

And I don't recommend obsessive calorie counting, if you eat primal and keep your carbs to a sensible level you should most definitely lose weight, especially at the beginning of your diet. If you reach a plateau some time then maybe you need to tweak something.
    I agree with this. The ONLY "bad" carb you ate is bananas. Eat your fill of broccoli and any other vegetable like it (spinach, kale, chard, etc) the avocado is fine as well, you may not want to do it everyday but then again you shouldn't eat the same things day in and day out. I would avoid bananas at your weight, or only have them once a week or something like that. Blueberries are great, but watch them too, don't be scared of them though.

All those I wouldn't even worry about counting their carb content, they're good for you, it's not worth it to worry about them.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I'll second the recommendation to eat more protein if you can afford it -- it's the most satiating nutrient. Fibrous veggies (that broccoli you ate) are also great because their net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) are low and they are very filling for the calories. The bulk also delays gastric emptying which means more satiation.

heatherok is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thanks everyone.

I wear a monitor on my arm (like the contestants on The Biggest Loser) that tracks my caloric output. I haven't had any deliberate exercise, but being 300 pounds in and of itself burns lots of calories. Plus, I live in a city, and I do not have a car, so I usually get about 10,000 steps in a day without even trying. Today it's about 7,000.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soniayak View Post
    Don't kick yourself! Rome wasn't built in a day! I've been primal for about 9 months now, and I've lost 60 lbs. I didn't count my carbs at all the whole time. You probably ate one too many bananas- but as long as you're working at it, you'll be fine. And you should definitely NOT be "really hungry" (unless you're fasting!).
    I totally agree with this. I've lost just under 50 pounds in 6 months. I also never counted a carb, even one time.

This is a way of life, not a diet. I know it's a big change and it takes some getting used to. In life, there are some days when you are just going to eat too much. Even normies do it. I know it is SO hard to get away from that "well, I blew it" mentality.... maybe even followed by the "well, I might as well have _____. I'll start again tomorrow".... which can quickly turn into "I'll start again on Monday".... which can quickly turn into "I'll start on the 1st." This was one of the hardest things I had to get over (that, and learning to only eat when I was actually hungry). You didn't blow anything because you had a freaking banana!!

Anyway, we are happy to have you here. Have you seen the before/after pictures and the "triumph" threads yet?

P.S. If you are hungry, eat more fat. Coconut oil/milk is especially good because it also boosts metabolism/burns fat, will give you more energy, reduces inflammation (which you likely have), and is healing to the thyroid.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 01-26-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    This is like telling a recovering alcoholic "no worries - a drink or two a night is good for you."

no it isn't!

yes! I am equating high fructose/sugar fruit that a 300 lb person is eating to the crack that junkie wants. Don't eat it!

Is a banana better than a twinkie? yes

Does that mean a banana is a good choice for a metabolically deranged person transitioning to a keteogenic diet like the PB? no

There is a difference between digesting cellulose as carbs and fructose as carbs as well as the insulin spike involved in each. The OP is coming into the PB metabolically deranged - before he can maintain a comfortable level of care free carb intake he needs to reverse the biological cravings to sugary fruit that is causing him to flock to carbs in the first place. Eating sugary fruit will make this harder.

I am adamant in making the point that there is no NEED for carbohydrates from a macro-nutritional standpoint. So if you want to eat all that sugar that's cool - but don't go pretending or posturing as though it is a necessity -- especially in aiding weight loss.

I realize if you have met your goals circumstances might dictate plenty of carbs as just fine. However from the standpoint of a 300lb person looking to lose weight you aren't doing him any favors by telling him that fruit is a healthy choice.

I have the OP's best interests at heart when I write this - I apologize if it seems rude (not my intention)
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast