Thread: Egg Allergy Question page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Egg Allergy Question

I have read here and there on the forum that a new egg allergy can develop due to the typical increase in egg consumption that comes along with Primal eating. I am fairly certain that I have developed and egg allergy that has manifested in the form of a rash, and have tested it by removing eggs for a couple weeks (rash dramatically improved) and then adding them back in (rash began to worsen again).

Anyhoo, has anyone experienced such an allergy onset, and if so, how long did it last? If I cut out the eggs for a while, is it likely that I will be able to eventually reintroduce them without issue?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Don't have an egg allergy, so I don't really have an answer for you. I think I read somewhere that it more the egg white and not the egg yolk that causes the problems. After cutting eggs out completely for a while, maybe try adding back the yolks and see what kind of reaction you get.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are you completely grain/legume-free? If not, your gut may be "leaky" and creating the egg "allergy".
    I've been eating 3 eggs daily for over 2 years with no problems.
    Eliminate all eggs, grains and legumes completely for 3 months (no cheating) and then add eggs back in.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Afaik allergies to healthy foods like eggs and beef occur when you have poor gut health and the food constituents make it into the blood stream through the gut lining. I do believe I have heard such an allergy can be reversed. I don't know how long it takes, but in addition to the eggs you may want to limit other possible gut irritants such as dairy, nuts, nightshades and at the same time pick up a good probiotic (or/and eat fermented veggies) so your gut can heal and you build up a strong flora to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Afaik allergies to healthy foods like eggs and beef occur when you have poor gut health and the food constituents make it into the blood stream through the gut lining. I do believe I have heard such an allergy can be reversed. I don't know how long it takes, but in addition to the eggs you may want to limit other possible gut irritants such as dairy, nuts, nightshades and at the same time pick up a good probiotic (or/and eat fermented veggies) so your gut can heal and you build up a strong flora to protect it.
    You said it much better than I!

It is interesting, because I have always been an egg eater, and increased my only yolk consumption when I began eating Primal back in June. I did eat some grains here and there around the holiday, which is when the rash started to appear, but I noticed that it did not improve when I got back to normal (completely grain & legume free). I have eliminated dairy during my egg experimentation, but I do eat a lot of nightshades.

I am curious as to why an allergy would show up now, when my gut is likely the healthiest it has been, when I have never in my entire life shown any type of allergy whatsoever, even though I was a heavy grain and legume user. I will definitely look into the probiotic suggestion, thanks!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

It's also possible that you have some underlying inflammation that is exacerbated by the lectins in eggs. Make sure you are vitamin D sufficient and are getting plenty of sleep, etc.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    It is interesting, because I have always been an egg eater, and increased my only yolk consumption when I began eating Primal back in June. I did eat some grains here and there around the holiday, which is when the rash started to appear, but I noticed that it did not improve when I got back to normal (completely grain & legume free). I have eliminated dairy during my egg experimentation, but I do eat a lot of nightshades.
    Celiacs are generally told that it takes their gut 3-6 months to fully heal after gluten exposure.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

I wonder how this time frame applies to non-Celiacs.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I wonder how this time frame applies to non-Celiacs.
    I'm not sure, but if there is damage from a leaky gut, it can probably take more than a few weeks to repair. That time frame is also with them generally eating other grains and sugar, I'm sure. Was just throwing out there that it may not fix itself in just a few days.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly