Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint vs. Paleo Diet page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint vs. Paleo Diet

Shop Now
    I was thumbing through Dr. Loren Cordain's book at Chapters today. He advocates a low-fat, lean protein diet - The Paleo Diet. His meat choices do not include bacon, in fact it's one of the meats that is on the 'occasional' list of foods to eat. He also states that all dairy is bad.

Many of the members in the forum advocate eating bacon, plenty of it. Yogurt and cream is also high on the list of foods to be recommended.

I'm not knocking the primal/paleo thing at all because I know it works and it's helped my IBS since I started beginning of January. I'm just curious, why the differences?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Mark's stance is that Cordain advises low-fat mainly so that it's not so radically counter to CW. Dairy was also not a staple of Paleolithic man, so it's out. Primal says that if the fat is good (saturated or monounsaturated, organic and/or grass-fed as applicable) then it's all good, and if you're not sensitive to dairy products and they don't cause you to overindulge then there's no harm in consuming them. I guess the main difference is that Primal takes Paleo as a starting point, but also looks at the science to determine whether a certain food is good to have.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Paleo tends to be more restrictive because Cordain wrote his first book before grass fed and organic was a household word. The newest interpretation of Cordain's work is modified by Robb Wolfe in his book "The Paleo Solution". I found TPS to be a really well written book and find his podcast very enlightening as well. The higher fat meats tend to have higher pesticide and hormone levels in conventional meat as well as higher omega 6 fatty acids. The no dairy thing stems from the high growth factor and insulin spiking properties of milk (promotes rapid cell growth like cancer and also diabetes). I am full paleo and have been for about 4 months now. I am doing really well and feel great. Have lost 10 pounds of fat in the process.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Paleo diet has no carb curve like Primal Blueprint. IMO, Paleo Diet includes too much fruit and honey, and not enough fat.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint:

Paleo:
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yay! i have a mullet! i love those pictures, i LOL'd here in the office and attracted some attention for it. then i had to explain it, and it's just too hard to 'splain.

that being said, i have no clue about the original paleo book, because i don't read books. i just eat bacon!

my process is this. Paleo is essentially: meat, veggies, some fruit, some nuts/seeds. no dairy, no night shades, eggs maybe. primal is -- as the picture indicate -- a bit more modern and also a bit more relaxed. it's taking the basics of paleo ideas and riffing a bit to make it more accessible to the masses.

i think it is easier for people to transition to primal -- which may transition to something more paleo for individual primals here -- it's just more accessible. the foods you can have are more diverse, and in that way more "normal." for a lot of folks, going from CW straight into a strict paleo regime is rough, particularly because you are cutting out SO much. after all, it's hard enough for some folks to go primal!

this allows people to ease in, see what works, try things and find comfort zones.

after a fair bit, i tend to notice that most primals get pretty close to paleo: minimal or no dairy, meat (which includes bacon but it isn't necessarily the main-stay), minimal or no night shades, very few nuts, very little fruit, etc. it just hews closer and closer to that.

i have found that, for myself, i went meat heavy, then veggie heavy, and essentially the only dairy i get is butter and the occasional cheese and yogurt. i like to butter my eggs. otherwise, i cook with lard (or bacon fat), or spread olive oil on things, etc.

i can't say that there's any science behind it, just that my life is working like this and i'm fit and healthy and feel great. la vie!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Read the PaNu blog for another take on metabolically appropriate nutrition.
    Basically Primal minus the huge amounts of vegetables, plus lots of high-fat dairy. Really works for me.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Cordain bought into the lipid hypothesis hardcore when he originally wrote his book. He has since amended his stance on saturated fats. Dairy is not technically a "paleolithic" food, but it contains quality animal fats, some of which are fats that would have been found in the paleolithic diet in brain tissue, which few of us eat today. Because dairy entered the human diet before grains (some hypotheses even say as long ago as 40,000 years) and is primarily protein and fat, it's considered an acceptable addition to a diet of evolutionarily-appropriate foods (yay, Dr. Kurt Harris!). Also, even the fruits and vegetables we eat today have been hybridized over the years, such that there are few really "paleolithic" foods in our food system anymore anyway. I guess if you wanted to eat entirely hunted game and weeds, that would be about as close to "paleolithic" as a diet could get, but this isn't some sort of paleolithic re-enactment; it's a lifestyle meant to bring people back to considering the evolution of human metabolism and what foods that are available today will work optimally with that evolution.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If dairy is so great, how come I can lose fat only when I go off of it? Don't tell me it's calories because I'm drinking coconut milk in its place.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    If dairy is so great, how come I can lose fat only when I go off of it? Don't tell me it's calories because I'm drinking coconut milk in its place.
    + only about 100
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast