Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All stagnancy and no progress makes Velocity a frustrated dude page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

All stagnancy and no progress makes Velocity a frustrated dude

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself. There's probably been some progress, just not really in the areas I want. I'm trying to not sound too petulant here because I know some people would give a limb or two just to be in my position right now. I should note that my current state has been lasting for a few months now.

Long story short, I'm frustrated. Annoyed is probably a good word to use as well. About what, you ask? Well, I've gotten to the point where I'm fairly certain that there are just a few pounds to go before I hit the mark where the abdominals are uncovered. This is frustrating for me because as far back as I remember, I've never had that. (I never did sports or such in high school, and my fitness/health interest only began about three years ago.)

Been almost full-bore PB nutrition since... oh, mid-July, I guess? Look at my profile to see when I registered for a good idea. The only hiccough was when I went home for three weeks at Christmas, but even then I fell easily into 80/20. (My version of "hiccough" is that, because when I'm on my own, I'm virtually 100% PB.) Daily food intake is meat, eggs, veggies, oils (coconut and/or EVO), some spices, and the occasional fruit (right now, strawberries in limited quantities). Cheating for me is a whole butternut squash with butter and cinnamon or one of the desserts found on this site or elsewhere (misathemeb's "cuffins" are a favorite, but only are made at most, once a month).

I'm starting to follow the Leangains protocol; I'd given it a small whirl most of the time I was at my parents' home but now I'm starting it back up again to see if it helps. I'm fiddling with the idea of trying ketosis for a month to try and slice off the last few pounds of fat needed to see the sixer, but don't quite know really how to implement it. (I have to see examples of what people in keto actually eat in a given day.)

Today, following LG, and with a late-afternoon training, I've eaten thus far (start around 12:30PM):
    -- BAS of lettuce, endive, red cabbage, broccoli, ~1.5T EVOO, ~1.5T balsamic vinegar, sprinkle rosemary, 3/4 lb. ground beef
    -- ~1 lb. beef roast, and am currently munching on lettuce waiting for some strawberries to thaw so that I can mix them with coconut milk (about 1/2 cup? maybe a bit less) and coconut flakes or coconut flour; might throw in some canned pumpkin (1/2 cup?) as well, with cinnamon
    -- More to be eaten later.

Been on the fitness train for about three years now, cycling among a few different protocols -- the few most recent have been Jason Ferruggia's MGS (my university senior year), SimpleFit, ZombieFit, and now I've hitched my wagon to Coach Sommer's Building the Gymnastic Body. Doing four weekly WODs, with a fifth day added of either sprints or playing sports (football mainly, but may join in with roommate playing basketball). I also try to walk 3 miles a day; just walking to/from class once a day equates to nearly two miles. Probably on a weekly basis I walk a total of 15-20 miles.

Considering my age (22), activity level (high; you just read about it), and approximate weight (can't remember the last time I weighed myself; might've been around 185?), I've been ingesting about 3,000 calories/day (give or take). My brain says that's a bit low, but it's also telling me the old story of sensible calorie restriction (500 below maintenance /day) + time = fat loss.

Gwar. Any help? Oh, BTW, here's me... minus any facial features. And no I'm not trying to flex.

Last edited by Velocity; 01-25-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    dude, chill.

it's been 6 months, and you are working on it. don't worry about it, it will come. could be that you work out too much, could be the quality of your sleep. could be that you're being obsessive.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    cheat day or week throw your body off balance

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you're a model PBer. you could definitely use some of the advice above...a primal carb refeed (sweet potatoes) might really kick up your leptin levels a bit, and having some more patience is a good idea...it can take some time to cut your body fat to lower levels than you're at.

if you want to try and speed things up, you might try going very low carb for a while (particularly after a carb refeed)--maybe a few weeks--and see if that helps. taking a look at leangains is good too for fasting tips.

a workout change might help too. try getting under the bar.

in my opinion, though, you're looking pretty good, and if you keep doing what you're doing you'll be there in no time.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    dude, chill.

it's been 6 months, and you are working on it. don't worry about it, it will come. could be that you work out too much, could be the quality of your sleep. could be that you're being obsessive.
    What she said.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the answers. I'll try to relax about it but it's something I've yet to achieve (ever) so forgive me if I'm a little impatient...

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    could be that you work out too much, could be the quality of your sleep. could be that you're being obsessive.
    The first crossed my mind. The third also has crossed my mind. Many times. I know I get a bit obsessive about things; I'm just a titch frustrated due to the fact that I know I'm close but haven't yet been able to cross that threshold and it's one I've not crossed in the past. (I tend to be rather dogged when it comes to meeting a challenge.) It doesn't help that, again, I've essentially been walking up the down escalator... -_-

I'll consider cutting back on my training but it'll take some time to get through the mindset of needing to train several (i.e. 4+) days per week. It's been that way for me since I started into the fitness 'world' so naturally the re-wiring will take a bit.

The second part, I'm not too fussed. I get plenty of sleep, 7-8 hours per night and the occasional mid-day nap if the need arises (which isn't too often, about once a week if that).

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    sounds like you're a model PBer. you could definitely use some of the advice above...a primal carb refeed (sweet potatoes) might really kick up your leptin levels a bit, and having some more patience is a good idea...it can take some time to cut your body fat to lower levels than you're at.

if you want to try and speed things up, you might try going very low carb for a while (particularly after a carb refeed)--maybe a few weeks--and see if that helps. taking a look at leangains is good too for fasting tips.

a workout change might help too. try getting under the bar.

in my opinion, though, you're looking pretty good, and if you keep doing what you're doing you'll be there in no time.
    What, an entire butternut squash once a week (weighing in ~2-2.5 lbs) ain't enough for a re-feed? :P Looking up the info it's about 350-400 calories, 100-120ish grams carbs. Would need more for a re-feed though... those usually fall into the what, 3-400 category total for a day?

Again, I'm intrigued by the ketosis idea, but having an example of what people actually eat would be helpful. I've seen conflicting accounts - either under 50 g. total carbs or 50 g. net carbs... So resolving that would be nice. It's a ton of greens, that much I know; I get those already.

No can do on the gym part. I train from home and am trying to save money (grad student, you know ). I only started this protocol about a month ago.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Read my journals, if you wish. Was 2.5 months 99% Primal and not dropping anything other than water weight.

Have been vlc ~ 20 net carbs for last 2 weeks...moving now into lc (30 grams net carbs per day.) I am finally dropping the last bit of belly fat by dropping the carbs and keeping an eye on my calories (making sure I am in deficit.) Apart from keto-adapting, I am not feeling like I am "dieting" at all.

I don't know if a carb re-feed is really necessary until you go vlc for a few weeks and then see if you are losing or not.

3,000 calories seems high to me if you really want to lose the fat. My husband at 6', 175lbs eats ~2000-2500 calories--and has visible abs--but he is much older than you!

Dropping some of the workouts (just 2 x per week, plus sprints and walking), would probably help a lot.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    I agree the total calorie input sounded a bit high, but then we must all undo our paradigm that calories in = calories out! It's what we eat that counts.

Just reading Gary Taubes new book Why We Get Fat (having previously read GCBC) very readable and worth it even if you've already read the other - is a good reminder. The quantity of meat sounds quite high. When Mark was on line a while back for a live broadcast I asked him about protein intake as if you go too high you end up with a metabolism generating more insulin response than you imagine.

I've come off 10 years of high load endurance training as an iron athlete and totally get where you are coming from about frequency of training and getting your head around doing less - but less really is more. If you do too much you'll find your body has insufficient time to repair, I'm finding two fasted heavy weights sessions a week is fine and then don't refuel for an hour or so after and then with a snack rather than a big meal. In fact I'm just taking a few days out this week having found myself doing too much again; it kind of snuck up on me - old habits die hard I guess and I'm an obsessive too!

Also don't forget that physical exertion triggers the brain to want to refuel but equally creating a caloric deficit triggers a response to become less active. It is a balancing act to find where you 'sit' so to speak. And that point will vary according to outside factors as well - college stress, exams, deadlines etc. This might be where you are missing a trick - if you have non-training stress it will still trigger the cortisol etc and affect the body like training - this is a quick way to get overtrained without doing lots of gym hours! I learned that the hard way when I trained through and raced Iron distance during a really stressful period when my teenage daughter disappeared. Don't underestimate the stress factor.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Hey Velocity,

I eat VLC 6 days out of 7. My diet looks something like this...

Breakfast: Lamb/bacon/steak fried up with a boatload of kale in coconut oil
    Lunch: BAS with greens, cucumber, olives, onion and either fatty fish or chicken thighs
    Dinner: Steak or lamb chops or salmon with either another green salad or some broccoli

Things I don't eat that you do... Pumpkin, squash and coconut flour. I also use coconut cream rather than coconut milk, it has way less carbs.

Not saying VLC is what you need to do btw, but you asked for a look at a VLC menu and here 'tis

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I agree the total calorie input sounded a bit high, but then we must all undo our paradigm that calories in = calories out! It's what we eat that counts.
    No question about the type of calories determining metabolism. And he still needs a calorie deficit for his body to use his fat stores. Many ways to achieve a calorie deficit, vlc being one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast