Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying meat page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Buying meat

Shop Now
    Okay, so before primal I didn't eat a lot of meat and now when I go to the store and look at all of the different cuts I don't know what to buy ...particulary beef. I don't want to get sick of ground beef and eggs. What kinds of meats do you like to buy (type and cut)??

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If clean, I can't get enough of a good rib-eye or T-bone steak. Arm and shoulder cuts are good to pot roast, ribs are delicious braised. Grain-fed cuts are best lean as that minimizes omega-6 fats and fat-soluble toxins. Flank steak is delicious on the grill, tri-tip roasts are quite yummy as well.

ghudspeth is offline Junior Member
    http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_school/shop_smart

Scroll to bottom to click on different cuts.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    If clean, I can't get enough of a good rib-eye or T-bone steak. Arm and shoulder cuts are good to pot roast, ribs are delicious braised. Grain-fed cuts are best lean as that minimizes omega-6 fats and fat-soluble toxins. Flank steak is delicious on the grill, tri-tip roasts are quite yummy as well.
    Do all of the meats we eat have to be grass-fed or organic, because I am having hard time finding them and that makes me confused as to what to buy also!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Buy one of everything.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed / organic is better, but not essential. Even "bog standard" meat is better for you than bread Lamb is normally raised on pasture anyway, as it's not worth feeding them precious grains

If you picture a cow, think of what the muscles are doing. The shins are hard working, they keep the animal on its feet all day. This means they can be tough, will have lots of connective tissue - so AMAZING in stews when all that tissue breaks down. Contrast with something like the loin, that doesn't work so hard, so is tender if you just quickly cook it.

Beware differences in cuts, nationally / locally! I've been confused by recipes calling for things that don't exist over here!
    Overall, just try something. Ask your butcher, google it, or just bung it in the oven and see what happens

Travis Culp is offline Junior Member
    Take the conventional wisdom that says to buy the leanest cuts of meat and do the opposite. Also buy only grass-fed, as stated.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Organic/grass-fed is optimal, but not a requirement. Most of the stuff we want to avoid is in the fat, so if buying conventional (and many have to because of the cost) go for the leaner cuts -- arm/shoulder, sirloin, round, etc.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Something I do to "cheat" - buy conventional, lean meat if and when necessary. To get the grass-fed fat, I buy breast of lamb, and cook in such a way that I can save the fat and use that for cooking. Lamb breast is a very cheap cut *because* it is so fatty, but as I mentioned above, I believe all UK lamb is grass fed so has the good stuff in the fat.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Once per week, go into the grocery store and buy something new. Just whatever tickles your fancy. Then, go home, research it and the best way to cook it. Have some canned tuna in the pantry as back up in case its gross.

We go on binges, one week we will eat nothing but ham steaks, bacon, ham hocks, pork ribs and pork loin. Then, we go on a beef kick etc.

Oh, and I ADORE roasting a whole chicken, with loads of butter and spices, letting the skin get all crackly and brown (I baste lots). I make sure to roast some root veggies in the butter in the pan. We had this tonight. My husband and I fought over the celeriac. My girls didn't want any (HA!), they had cauliflower and roasted broccoli instead.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast