Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why cut out fruit? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Why cut out fruit?

Primal Fuel
    I am new to this WOE (yay, getting the abbreviations!) and I am just noticing that a lot of people cut out fruit all together. If fruit is a part of the plan why do you cut it out?

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is very carb-y ... and as most people are trying to lose weight (keep carbs low) they cut fruit out... also per carb there are much better (containing greater nutrient density) foods available (read: veggies)

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Plus there are a lot of people here who are trying to improve their insulin sensitivity (after developing insulin resistance through prior bad eating habits), or dealing with hypoglycemia or diabetes... in which case avoiding as much sugary stuff as possible (even the natural kind) is best for the body.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I eat a piece of fruit every few days instead of a few pieces every day, as I did in my old way of life. It keeps my sugar/carb-cravings in check by not eating it too often. I also appreciate it more that way too -- feels like a treat. I think it depends on your goals, your activity level, and how your body responds to sugar.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone eaten a piece of fruit a day in the beginning to see how they do on it and then decide to eliminate or cut back on it? Also, in the beginning did you find yourself hungry and if so did you snack at all? I am used to eating snacks and so I am finding that I am hungry in between meals and I know my calories are not low. Just wondering if it takes a little while to get used to eating 2-3 meals a day. Thanks for your input!

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating a lot of fruit, you could be hungry in between meals because of the sugar in the fruit. If you cut the fruit for a few days, eat a little more fat too, you might find that you're not hungry in between meals. Also - be sure you're not cutting calories too low.

Travis Culp is offline Junior Member
    It's not the sugar in general, it's the fructose. This goes into pretty good detail about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

In my experience, it's better to eat more carbs and less fructose vs. the opposite. Do yourself a favor and just get your carbs from boiled/steamed potatoes + butter.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    The thing to remember is that although fruit is natural, modern fruit has been bred super-selectively to make it sweet, sweet, sweet. So although it's good for you, it's a whole different thing than Grok would have eaten. And it would have been a seasonal, unusual treat -- not something to snack on every day all day.

You don't have to cut out fruit but the SAD version of including fruit is far from optimal.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Culp View Post
    In my experience, it's better to eat more carbs and less fructose vs. the opposite. Do yourself a favor and just get your carbs from boiled/steamed potatoes + butter.
    I would never argue eating potatoes with butter! I can go with eating fruit occasionally. Thanks everyone!

Katblack is offline Senior Member
    I am confused with this as well. If you are sensitive to fructose, if that is the case are you saying that eating you fruit with alot of protein is not going to do anything with the sugar getting to your insulin. I read somewhere that grains are bad because when eaten with fats and protein I guess, the combination makes the fat get stored in your body. Is this the same with fructose, even in moderation?
    You don't have to be sick to get well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast