Thread: Dr. Oz on coconut oil today page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Dr. Oz on coconut oil today

Primal Fuel
    Happened to have the day off and had my butt firmly planted in front of the boob tube with my two new puppies. Dr. Oz is on and he is discussing coconut oil and it's benefits. To sum up:

1. Good for weight loss -- Coconut oil has gotten a "bad rap" because it is saturated but scientific research is changing that thought. Medium-chain fatty-acids readily and quickly metabolized by the body/liver compared to large-chain (he used steak as his reference). He said large-chain will actually "make you fat."
    2. Helps treat skin conditions -- treats excema or psoriasis. Benefits of lauric acid to fight fungal infections. Suggested its use before pharmaceuticals.
    3. Treats ulcers -- Touts antibacterial benefit of lauric acid in fighting/resisting H. Pylori.

Tomorrow he's going to talk about the "quality" of O3 in some supplements and the other "omega" that is "bad marketing" and not really all that good for you. Anybody got a guess?

Nothing new for us on MDA but good to hear some "health" celebs starting to not be so stubborn with the CW.

I did picture all my other fellow Groks and Grokettes grunting and hurling a grass-fed ribeye at the screen when he made reference to steak though. LOL!
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 01-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    I did picture all my other fellow Groks and Grokettes grunting and hurling a grass-fed ribeye at the screen when he made reference to steak though. LOL!
    Nah. Waste of good steak

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I think the tide is beginning to turn and the unwashed masses are finally catching on to CO.

Even the suburban moms of 5 on the frugalista blogs I frequent are starting to use it their recipes (they post their meal planning, so that's how I know) and a couple of months ago, I noted on Amazon.com that about 4 coconut products were in the top 10 in their "health" category.

Those 3 things Dr. Oz said are true. There is an excellent book called "Coconut Cures" by Fife that gets into all that, plus so much more. Fresh coconut water can even be used as intravenous fluid, if need be. The wonders never end.

I'm pretty much slathering the stuff on from head to toe (quite literally.... excellent for dandruff and it's also doing wonders for the toenail fungus I've thrown everything at except a nuclear bomb).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    What's happening to Dr. Oz? Did he slip and fall and get paleo amnesia? First he says sugar is more dangerous than fat, and now he says coconut oil is good. Wow.

krassi is offline Member
    Maybe some of those "experts" have long ago realized that they are wrong but they are not willing to admit all of it at once and say "damn, I was wrong about everything and the other guys were right, but please keep paying me for my expert knowledge".

Rather they'll admit one thing at a time, quoting "new research" and stuff.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Look, people like Dr. Oz, publicly, have no minds of their own. They have empty heads that they fill with popular opinion. What's "safe" to say but just "cutting-edge" enough to make the average person go, "Wow! That's interesting!" Dr. Oz will spout that on his show. If, a year from now, some bad studies come out that conclude that coconut milk contributes to heart disease, you can bet that Oz will warn against it without even bothering to explain his shift in stance, because year-old-TV has totally vanished from the public consciousness. Don't waste your time with Oz, or, if I might be so bold, anyone associated with Oprah.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    oh, Oprah has the best intentions

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Absolutely agree with Grumpy Caveman! Oz is a fame ho. He will say or do anything to get keep his adoring audience happy.

CoachSandee is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Fresh coconut water can even be used as intravenous fluid, if need be. The wonders never end.
    Saw that on "Off The Map" last week. Thought it was awesome they showed it.

mrs_moesy is offline Member
    The most important question no one is asking is: What kind of puppies did you get? And what are their names?