Thread: Primal and Kombucha? page

Mommaofmany is offline Member

Primal and Kombucha?

Shop Now
    How does kombucha fit into Primal? I drink 10 oz of homebrewed kt about every other day for medicinal reasons (and I love it!) but the nutritional info I have found online says it's almost all carb. Any advice regarding its primal acceptability?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The yeast eat the glucose in the sucrose which means what's left is fructose. Depending on how much sugar you put in yours and how much you drink, it might be a problem, might not. 1 cup sugar (200g according to nutritiondata.self.com) per gallon translates to 1.56 total sugar per oz before fermentation. 0.78g per oz fructose, plus whatever glucose is left. In a 10oz serving, 7.8 (let's call it 8) grams fructose, plus maybe (guessing) 0-3g glucose. So 8-11g total sugar every other day, you should be fine. FWIW most studies show that it takes 50-60g of fructose per day to start showing negative metabolic effects.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Here are a couple other kombucha discussions that have taken place on the forum:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...light=kombucha
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...light=kombucha

Mommaofmany is offline Member
    Thanks! I had tried the search feature and found it.....lacking. I will happily continue enjoying my 'bootch.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    If it's not too personal, I'm curious what medical condition you're treating with kombucha?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Is it just me, or does the idea of this gross anyone else out. I need some rationale as to why this is considered healthy.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elorajade View Post
    Is it just me, or does the idea of this gross anyone else out. I need some rationale as to why this is considered healthy.
    Are you also grossed out by yogurt, or sauerkraut, or soy sauce? Fermented foods have a lot of benefits... in the case of kombucha, it's really just the probiotics (and the taste) but with many foods it makes them easier to digest.

Edited to add: Just realized Mark has a post about this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    Are you also grossed out by yogurt, or sauerkraut, or soy sauce? Fermented foods have a lot of benefits... in the case of kombucha, it's really just the probiotics (and the taste) but with many foods it makes them easier to digest.

Edited to add: Just realized Mark has a post about this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
    No, which is what I find silly aout my own reaction to it. I read the "how too's" on Dianas blog I think it was, but the whole "mother" thing really icked me out.

Maybe I've had too many science experiments in my fridge and I'm flashing back or something. LOL!
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    LOL... yeah, I guess the idea of stuff floating on top of and in your drink never brings to mind good thoughts!

I LURVE me some booch. I'm determined to make my own, starting in a month or so. But for now, I pay for the spensive stuff and just enjoy the bejeezus out of it.

My funny booch story. I had read about a few years back, so hubs and I got some at the store when we were getting lunch. I got the plain original flavor. Took one sip and was like "yuck!". I wasn't really used to the fermented taste (which is actually pretty yummy!) but I also like it better mixed with cranberry or something, which I found out later. Anyway, we didn't end up drinking it and tossed it. The next day we went to the car and the homeless guys used to go through the trash cans on our alley on a semi-regular basis. usually people would leave out anything they thought could be used, but apparently the guy had found the bottle in the trash, took one sip, and put it down on the curb and left it.

I finally tried it again with other mixes and love it, but hubs still calls it my "poopy drink", cuz he says it tastes like... well, you get the idea.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

theholla is offline Senior Member
    It's ok, elorajade. The kombucha mother squicks me out too. After helping my friend make kombucha and getting a chance to hold the mother in the process, well...I'm still squicked out. And I'm normally all about fermented foods!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout