Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: probiotics page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

probiotics

Shop Now
    i'm about to run out of acidophilus at home, so i went out today to get some more. normally, i just pick up something at a drug store, but today i went to a heath store and saw that there are tons of options for probiotics. i picked up something called PB 8 by Nutrition Now, and spend about $20, which seemed to the low end of prices.
    so, i was wondering what kind of probiotics others are taking, if brand matters, and if anyone knows about some more affordable options.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    I really like Garden of Life Primal Defense and Dr. Ohira's (Im not sure I spelled that right). They are quite expensive (both) but quality IS everything in your probiotics. I have taken some that do not work at all (Phillip's Colon Health (pooey!). You should rotate your probiotics, as you want to get the most strains you can. I tried PB8, didn't notice much of a difference but do with the above (everybody's different).

My husband usually gets sick this time of year and everyone - EVERYONE - I have been in contact with has been sick. It's a miracle neither of us has come down with anything at all - we work with people everyday. I give credit to the probiotics!

I notice a difference digestive wise too (that's pretty much my big way to tell if they are working or not, not just by not getting sick).

Good luck - hope this helps.

Last thing I want to say - even though they are expensive, it costs a lot less than a doctor's visit.....right?.....food for thought.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    What exactly do you mean by seeing a difference in your digestion? I'm trying to figure out a way to (like you) judge the efficacy of probiotics (and other supplements). I don't often get sick though, so that metric won't exactly work.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yes, what do probiotics really do for you? I have heard a lot about them, but wasn't sure if they were worth taking.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The idea is that they help repopulate the gut's stock of "good" bacteria so that they can out-compete the "bad" bacteria. Our natural balance can get thrown out of whack by eating the wrong foods, antibiotics (either doctor-prescribed or in our meat), stress, food poisoning, etc.

What is an ideal dosage? My wife recently bought PB8, by Nutrition Now, which says it has 14 billion good bacteria.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I take Jarrow Dophilus. It has 5 billion live organisms. 1 pill per day for me but I hear some people take more depending on how unhealthy their gut is. I believe that 5 bil per day is more of a maintenance level. I do much better with the Jarrow Dophilus (bought it from Whole Foods) compared to the other ones I have tried before by Nature Made and Origin. I haven't had any gut issues for about a year so I am pretty happy with it.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I take probiotics intermittently but definitely kick up the levels if I've had to have antibiotics, or if I've had a stomach upset, and always if I've been naughty and indulged in too much bread Am currently trialling Healthy Origins with has 30billion CFU's, with 8 different probiotic strains...

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I don't take any probiotics. When I first started primal, I bought into this and took loads - no difference to my IBS so after a few months I stopped. And - no difference. I will try to make sauerkraut when the weather improves a little (cold kitchen syndrome!)

Also - the Jack Lallane saying "if man made it, don't eat it". Someone sure made the probiotic pills - and is getting rich flogging them. I'm sure Grok didn't pop pills.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I don't take any probiotics. When I first started primal, I bought into this and took loads - no difference to my IBS so after a few months I stopped. And - no difference. I will try to make sauerkraut when the weather improves a little (cold kitchen syndrome!)

Also - the Jack Lallane saying "if man made it, don't eat it". Someone sure made the probiotic pills - and is getting rich flogging them. I'm sure Grok didn't pop pills.
    Very true about what Jack said. We PB followers seem to take a lot of supplements even though Grok didn't, nor did most of our grandparents or ancestors going back past about 100 years. I am starting to wonder if it's all just placebo effect. I don't think there have been many studies to show with any direct conclusion that they lengthen or lives or improve them. Still, here I go this morning popping my fish oil caps, vitamin D, B12, mutlivitamin, etc... I am programmed to believe it must help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast