Thread: What is going on here? Stomach has a mind of its own? page

beachrat is offline Senior Member

What is going on here? Stomach has a mind of its own?

Primal Fuel
    The "gut brain," formally known as the enteric nervous system, is made up of some 500 million nerve cells, as many as there are in a cat's brain. They help to control muscular contractions in the gut as well as the secretions of glands and cells. And they help balance hunger and satiety, or the sense of being full, communicating those states to the big brain.

Nestle, one of the world's largest food companies, hopes to develop new types of foods that, essentially, seek to trick the gut brain. The foods could make people feel full earlier, or stay full longer, in order to curb the desire to eat more. For example, cooking french fries in oil that gets digested more slowly than regular oil could confer a longer-lasting sense of satiety, researchers speculate.
    (Wall Street Journal article)

This article sounds strange to me, but I'm guessing this bundle of nerves is simply an intermediating system that rarely gets specifically mentioned in studies that have formed what I understand about insulin, fat, and the faux hunger sugar addiction induces.

Can anyone explain how the study here is reasonable, i.e. doesn't contradict the nutritional science we know that underlies primal living & nutrition? Is this remotely feasible? Or will this sub-industry simply generate new frankenfoods that ultimately cause as much or more damage, and malnutrition, than contemporary SAD grain/sugar imbalances?

(I take as a given that Nestle and all of those other companies studying "satiety science" are never going to recommend "Eat fewer man-manufactured products"...)
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

snoopy is offline Junior Member
    sounds like more frankenfoods...why can't people just eat real food and stop trying to invent all this other crap!!!!!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Satiety is driven foremost by protein (best), then fats (long-term) and carbs (short-term). Good luck!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    That would make a great bumper sticker: "My stomach's smarter than your cat"
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    argh? Argh.

Choose the most likely completion for the following:
    "There's an intelligence in the gut. How interesting! Maybe we can..."

a) "manufacture new substances to trick it."
    b) "listen to it."

Likewise, "Since people get really hungry after eating fries, we could try..."

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    argh? Argh.

Choose the most likely completion for the following:
    "There's an intelligence in the gut. How interesting! Maybe we can..."

a) "manufacture new substances to trick it."
    b) "listen to it."
    Haha, this made me laugh! Thanks

It will be interesting to see what miracle "cure" (a cure for human biology? the mind boggles) they'll invent to suck more money out of people who are addicted to snake-oil.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal