Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another possible convert -- from Weight Watchers page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Wink Another possible convert -- from Weight Watchers

Just had another person asking about my weight loss. I explained the basics of PB to her. She's super interested!

I noted that I'm never feeling deprived or hungry. Pointed out that if I can keep up a "diet" while sleepless and busy with a brand new baby, then anybody can, and I can surely do this long-term.

She has been on Weight Watchers for a long time. She lost 10 pounds but ever since they changed it so fruit and veg are zero points, she hasn't lost any weight (shocker...) She said a lot of folks in their forums are dissatisfied because they feel like they can't just go by their point total anymore.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’m glad you can help her out. It sucks to know there’s people out there that need to rely on a point system to just eat you know? But it’s the world we live in.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to be on weight watchers. i lost 100 pounds...fast (calculation errors), largely because i was basically eating way too little, and i attribute any success i had to giving up a lot of food that is on the primal no-no list.
    my experience with weight watchers was horrible...i was sick, hungry, a lot of my weight lost was muscle, and all of their "food" is frankenfood. i lost more weight and really tightened up with primal, so now i try to convert anyone that i can. cheers to you if you can get her to switch.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Good for you! I'm a WW convert too. It helped me lose weight prior to getting PG, but after trying it again post-PG, I hated it. I don't have time to count all my points. I was hungry all the time. I know I ate too many carbs, but they get you on the fiber thing. If something has lots of fiber, it tends to have fewer points, so I know I was eating too many grains. And I won't touch frozen meals with a 10-foot pole any more.

floridapiper is offline Member
    I can't totally knock Weight Watchers because I lost 115 pounds in a year and a half using their system...then a year later I gained 25 pounds due to menopause. I wan't hungry on WW, but I didn't eat as much meat due to the points. I can see where lots of fruit would stall out weight loss under the new system...

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I lost 20 lbs. on WW, and I literally Could. Not. Continue. I chalked my 'failure' up to poor willpower, but after the health probs. that popped up while I lost that 20 lbs. (digestive, skin, hair, low endurance, low energy, anxiety, heart palpitations), I now look back and think I have a fabulous survival instinct. The fiber/grain thing didn't work for me; I'm seriously wheat intolerant. Read Nourishing Traditions, then found Primal blueprint and have felt better and better ever since.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Considering that most modern fruits are just bags of sugar, I'm wouldn't be surprised if many WW folks start gaining soon...

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    She's already reading the various e-books and signed up for the MDA newsletter. Yay!

She has high cholesterol, so I told her about some of the success stories I've heard on that front as well.

Conveniently she doesn't have a lot of weight to lose (just from looking at her, I can't imagine she needs to lose any, really...) but surely this will help on the health front.

iniQuity, it is sad in a way that they need a point system. I imagine there's some people who like having more specific guidance of being told what to do, and feel like they're keeping "score" in a way that isn't directly related to calories. When that works for them, then good, fine, whatever....

But if it doesn't work and they're struggling with a weird point-based system instead of "Hmm, this is primal and delicious! EAT" then... yeah, that's especially sad.

Yeah, Dragonfly, I found that aspect of her conversation especially interesting -- insider info confirming our suspicions that unlimited fruit wouldn't go so well for them.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

hi! first post!

i'm a newbie to "primal" but have been eating healthfully for the last year or so in an attempt to lose weight. carbs have NEVER been kind to me...i am also a recovering vegetarian...

anyway...i did weight watchers...why would fruit make them fat? aren't we (primal-eaters) "allowed" to eat as much fruit as we want? is it something about WW that would make them gain with increased fruit consumption?

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by happyprimate View Post
    anyway...i did weight watchers...why would fruit make them fat? aren't we (primal-eaters) "allowed" to eat as much fruit as we want? is it something about WW that would make them gain with increased fruit consumption?
    I'm reasonably new around here, so maybe one of the more senior members will chime in with more details, but many PB-ers limit fruit consumption because of all the sugar. Yes, it's "natural" sugar, but it's still sugar. For those of us who are trying hard to be free from carb-induced cravings and crashes, eating too much fruit can make it difficult. I do eat fruit, but I eat a piece every day or two instead of 2 or 3 pieces per day as I would have in my old lifestyle. I would suggest experimenting and seeing what works for you. Some folks are fine with a fair amount of fruit. Others get stalled or have increased carb cravings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast