Thread: The whole Insulin-thing... I don't get it page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

The whole Insulin-thing... I don't get it

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks!

Well I read Mark's book and I didn't get most of the biological parts, since English isn't my mother-tongue.
    Especially the parts about Insulin and Cholesterol, etc. I didn't understand.
    Could somebody please explain it to me in a few easy English sentences? I'd say my English isn't bad, but all those terms mentioned in the book are like what doctors would use, so it's pretty hard to understand for somebody who isn't a native speaker.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    My limited understanding is this:

Insulin is a hormone that does many things. The important one for us here is that it tells the body to keep it’s fat stores and NOT release them to be used for energy. Insulin does this after eating carbs mostly (it’s released every time you eat, no matter what you’re eating, but carbs produce more insulin release than other foods, hence carbs being labeled as fattening)

So, eating less carbs causes less insulin release so there’s nothing to tell the body “hold on to your fat!” and it instead starts letting go of it which is what we want to happen.

What’s your native language, maybe somebody here speaks it and can help you further. If not, try using google’s translator it’s pretty accurate. Just copy and paste the paragraph and it will translate it for you.

Hey Thanks a lot!
    That already helped me out.
    My native language is German.
    Actually I think Google Translator isn't accurate at all. lol. But that was already a lot of helpful information. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by traintolive View Post
    Hey Thanks a lot!
    That already helped me out.
    My native language is German.
    Actually I think Google Translator isn't accurate at all. lol. But that was already a lot of helpful information. Thank you!
    No problem!

Wenn Sie auf Fleisch und Gemüse mit etwas natürlicher Fette (wie Avocado-und Kokosnussöl) konzentrieren, dann müssen Sie nicht über zu viel Insulin zu kümmern. Ich persönlich denke, Insulin bekommt einen schlechten Ruf, wenn es nicht verdient. Es ist ein Hormon, wie viele andere und es ist nur seine Aufgabe, es Menschen, die das Problem sind, wenn sie verarbeitete Lebensmittel, die nicht nahrhaft essen zu wählen.

I don't know if it's accurate, but it still makes me feel good

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I don't know if it's accurate, but it still makes me feel good
    It's not 100% accurate, but everybody would understand what you mean.
    Pretty good vocabulary you use. Did you take German in school/college?

It's not 100% accurate, but everybody would understand what you mean.
    Pretty good vocabulary you use. Did you take German in school/college?
    I went to he college of Google and majored in translate. Course work was a bitch! A female hund, if you will...

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I am German, but this is an international forum, so I'll post in English. ;-)

Don't focus too much on insulin. There's a huge debate going on right now, and many people who used to blame insulin for obesity (through the "carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat" mantra that Gary Taubes popularized) are now gradually warming up to the fact that its role may not be that dominant in fat metabolism as they thought it was. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's an important player, especially when you're suffering from "diabesity" you'll want to lower your insulin. Or rather: improve your insulin sensitivity, which is something that you can do mainly through exercise.

About cholesterol: Forget about it - just ignore it. It's an important compound that your body needs for many things - and if you don't eat enough of it, your body will manufacture it in the liver. It's not a good predictor for any disease ... IMO it's just an excuse for doctors to prescribe cholesterol lowering medication - but what they don't tell you is that lower cholesterol is associated with increased incidence of cancer. My recommendation: Eat food (meaning: whole food, not food products), mostly animals, and not too much. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I went to he college of Google and majored in translate. Course work was a bitch! A female hund, if you will...
    Hahaha that's funny. Pretty good though. Unfortunately I didn't have as good experiences with Google Translator though.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey folks!

Well I read Mark's book and I didn't get most of the biological parts, since English isn't my mother-tongue.
    Especially the parts about Insulin and Cholesterol, etc. I didn't understand.
    Could somebody please explain it to me in a few easy English sentences? I'd say my English isn't bad, but all those terms mentioned in the book are like what doctors would use, so it's pretty hard to understand for somebody who isn't a native speaker.
    see it is questions like these i get anxious about people developing this 'fear of carbs' when it should NOT BE THAT AT ALL...

I think too many people confuse carbs=hyperinsulimia or something. As well, I think too many confuse carbs being converted to fat as carbs= fat storage. It doesn’t work like that, when you have CHRONIC high insulin(one way being carbs, but theres a gazillion) it isnt the carbs being stored, it is fat in the body’s perceived excess of food. Whether it is the carbs which cause the raised insulin is debatable as well, but eating to excess to the point your storing fat. Carbs cause fat storage in so much that fat eaten is being stored as fat, not the carbs. Like if you eat too much protein, very VERYYYYY rarely will it be converted to glucose to fat even in a calorie surplus usually. But you will still get fat with the excess protein because of the fat and carbs you eat will be stored as fat.
    Then, if you restrict fat you get denovolipogenisis raised up and carbs ARE converted to fat.

Case in point, there is no magical macronutrient, this I will always stand by. Eating in excess will store fat, nothing in particular, just excess. What YOUR body perceives as excess is very hormonal, mental and physical. The body is smarter than carbs= fat or cholesterol=heart disease. you cant manipulate anything to any extent for any period of time.

Nonprimal people overfill their glycogen with shit foods, excess fructose and a normal calorie surplus, and of course it spills over to fat storage(to know knowledge fructose doesn’t release insulin either?).

So in my opinion, if you want to eat a high fat diet, that’s great and wonderful, but be weary of the fact that fat will still be stored as fat in a caloric surplus(your body will put the protein/carbs to ‘body needs’ and store the fat). If you want to eat a varied diet, with real primal food, less ‘diet mentality focused’ then just keep things sane, don’t butter your pork belly and eat a block of cream cheese.