Thread: 1 month on PB...now I've got a LRI page

DPB67 is offline Junior Member

1 month on PB...now I've got a LRI

Shop Now
    I've been eating primal for a month or so and have contracted a pretty serious lower resp. tract infection. I realize it probably has nothing to do with PB (likely something brought home from our kindergartner).

This got me thinking though. How does a primal eat when we are sick? I know...we're not supposed to get sick, but now I am...and I have no appetite whatsoever but am really craving orange and grapefruit juice. I'm 43 so if I were indeed GROK this would probably be curtains!

Going to the Doc in a while to see if it is pneumonia....

Any ideas are appreciated.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I would go with your appetite. If you're not very hungry, then maybe some coconut water (has natural electrolytes, so good for hydration) and maybe some broth. A good bone broth would work, but you most likely dont' have that on hand! But beef broth, or something of the sort. I think grapefruit juice or something might be fine as well... but maybe just down some vitamin C as that's most likely what you're craving.

Primal does help with immune system issues, but alas it takes a while to get back the immune systems we once had (trust me, this one I know!).

Hope you feel better...

(P.S. if your doc gives you antibiotics remember to take a good probiotic and/or eat yogurt and stuff so you don't kill off all the good bacteria in your digestive tract.)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you are Vitamin D sufficient. In the meantime, you can take 40,000 IUs of an oil-based D3 for a couple of days to give your immune system a boost and help it fight off your virus faster.

DPB67 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice. The doc did give me antibiotics. I think I'll have some Greek yogurt with them. Then some chicken broth later. I'll up the D, but what I have are 1000 IU tablets. Don't think I can choke 40 of those down...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Chuck the tablets and get some oil-based softgels. You may not be absorbing the tablets and thus staying deficient in D.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Eat plenty of organ meats, bone broths, hearty items. They work wonders for keeping your basic inner functions running smoothly.

Mommaofmany is offline Member
    Garlic is the key to defeating (and preventing) infections. Take a clove, chopped small, daily. When ill, take two or three a day.

My son has a chronic kidney disease. He was on strong steroids over and over and over from the time he was diagnosed. When his immune system gets challenged by any kind of bug, his kidneys begin shedding protein. That leads to kidney damage. When the protein goes up and stays there for a day or two, he goes on meds and stayed on them for 2.5 months minimum. I was told that that was the way of it and he would either get better by himself, or get worse and eventually need a kidney transplant.

I learned about treating his immune system/infection with garlic and he hasn't been on meds since. It's been over four years since his last relapse. It works well for everyone, too, not just him.

ETA: Changing our diet to whole foods was important, too, in boosting his immune system. The less sugar the better. Wish I knew then that grains are sugar, too. I could have changed everything long ago, instead of just ditching all processed junk.