Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed, nitrite-free bacon page

maba is offline Senior Member

Where can I find grass-fed, nitrite-free, uncured bacon? I buy nitrite-free ones from Whole Foods but I'm pretty sure it's not grass-fed. Any online resources?

Griff is offline Senior Member

I have to settle for nitrite-free. I've never found grass-fed bacon anywhere.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

sofiawahaj Guest

I don't think pigs eat grass? Pork is the one meat I have the hardest time figuring out what is the best kind to buy? I have not seen "pastured" pork anywhere.

hovad123 Guest

there are several online purveyors, best best go to http://eatwild.com/products/california.html and see what farmers are in your area. I am in NYC I wish I could be more helpful!

hovad123 Guest

And to the OP there are tons of farmers in the PA that raise pastured nitrate free pork. Even those that are far probably come to farmer's markets nearby.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

There is some I've found around Lancaster, PA. I can't remember the name of the farm, though.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

North Country Smokehouse has a few humanely-raised uncured bacons out there, a fruitwood-smoked regular bacon, and their cottage bacon in particular. Both are freaking outstanding.

A few farms offer beef bacon from grassfed beef around here, but I haven't been terribly impressed with it so far. Nice idea, middling execution.

pandapuffs Guest

Regarding what pastured pigs eat, I found this on a Chow.com messageboard:

"Ruth said: "Pigs don't eat grass -- or at least, not as a primary food source. They don't have the ability to digest it like bovines and ovines."

Actually, that's not true. I've raised many pigs purely on pasture. Pigs are quite capable of getting all their nutrition from pasture and thriving. I've done it from piglets to finishers as well as sows both gestating and nursing.

They will grow slower, by about one month to finishing, than pigs that are also fed grains, but the reality is that pigs can do it. People pass around the myth that one must be a ruminant like a cow or sheep to thrive on pasture. That isn't true.

We raise pigs on pasture. We don't feed corn, soy or commercial feeds. What we do feed the pigs in addition to the pasture (summer) and hay (winter) is excess dairy in the form of whey, cheese trim, milk, butter, cream, etc from local dairies and cheese artisans. The addition of dairy completes the protein diet (adding all important Lycine) and increases the calories such that our pigs finish out just as fast on the pasture/hay as pigs do on commercial corn/soy feeds.

The advantage is the pastured pigs offer a healthier meat, use local resources, save petro miles and taste better than their corn fed brethren. The fact that they are free-ranging on pasture is of course a big plus too for all sorts of reasons from humaneness, to less effort to naturally spreading their valuable manure and urine back over the pasture to fertilize the soil.

Cheers

-Walter

Sugar Mountain Farm

in the mountains of Vermont"

I buy my bacon from a local farm that raises pastured beef, pork, poultry, and lamb. One of these days I'm going to remember to ask what their pigs eat.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

maba, I'm pretty sure you won't find grass-fed pork bacon anywhere. At least not from a sane farmer. You just mean pastured/organic right? Or do you mean beef bacon?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I don't think there's such a thing as grass-fed pig. The pig I picked up at the local farm was allowed to roam around all day long, but they eat mostly roots, flowers, fallen apples, some other vegetables, etc. Yeah, there was grass, but it wasn't the main part of their diet.

Also, you know how they say "pork is the OTHER white meat"? Well, the farmer told me that it only turns white when the pig is kept in a strict confindment and fed mush all the time. His pigs are nice and red and very flavorful and tender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast