Thread: Question: Which high fat foods are low in Omega-6 page

AlexBlackman is offline Junior Member

Question Question: Which high fat foods are low in Omega-6

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I'm not really following a paleodiet, but since there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people here, I've regisitered. I'm trying to eat a diet with a high ratio of Omega 3s to Omega 6s

My question is, which high-fat foods are low in Omega 6? I'm currently consuming 30ml of macadamia nut oil a day, and its 3% omega 6.

Also, what foods are high in fibre but low in Omega 6? wheat bran is over 4% omega 6.

I should mention that I'm getting more than enough protein in my diet, I eat at least 150g of salmon protein a day
    Last edited by AlexBlackman; 01-24-2011 at 07:08 PM.

LEED3D is offline Member
    You should be more concerned with the overall Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. Most Americans have an average ratio of 20:1 - 12:1; which results in severe inflammation. You want to approach a ratio closer to 2:1. Eat foods high in Omega 3's ( wild caught fish, grass-fed meats are both excellent for this). You can also look into buying Omega 3 enriched eggs. If you don't have access too foods high in Omega 3's, I would suggest supplementing with some Fish Oil.

Thanks, I'm getting lots of omega 3 from all the fish-oil and salmon I eat.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Fresh whole walnuts, particularly black walnuts, are excellent in small quantities: soak em for 4 hours or don't. Salmon, and other cold water fatty fishes of course. Chia, soaked whole seeds, mashed when wet or soaked then dried and ground up, are high in Omega 3s & proteins. Flax is poo-poo'd here for reasons (I agree with) but won't go into. Personally for Omega 3s, I eat lots of wild cold water fish like Salmon & Ahi, lots of farm fresh eggs, some walnuts & chia, but little to no flax(used to eat daily before I got schooled). I also eat 4 soft gel fish oil capsules daily, derived from anchovy & sardines.

nutritionut is offline Member
    If you like coconut, you could try young coconuts or coconut butter from artisana. Nutiva makes coconut manna too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Chia, soaked whole seeds, mashed when wet or soaked then dried and ground up, are high in Omega 3s & proteins. Flax is poo-poo'd here for reasons (I agree with) but won't go into. Personally for Omega 3s, I eat lots of wild cold water fish like Salmon & Ahi, lots of farm fresh eggs, some walnuts & chia, but little to no flax(used to eat daily before I got schooled). I also eat 4 soft gel fish oil capsules daily, derived from anchovy & sardines.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try chia seeds