Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with grass-fed beef page

JamieBelle is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I spent about a hundred bucks on what I hope will be a month's worth of beef and pork from a local farm last week.

I got a chuck roast because I heard it's the best cut for cooking in the crock pot. I put it in there with some onions, tomatoes, carrots, some spices, and a cup of merlot. I set it on low and seven hours later it was dinner time.

It was tough and dry. It was completely submerged in liquid by the end!

Where did I go wrong?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Uhm, that's kind of odd. Did you cook it on High? You could try shredding it and mixing it with some of the liquid and maybe some additional fats to salvage the texture a bit.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Did you put any other liquid in there at all? I've had trouble with meats when they are submerged in liquid in the crock pot as well. My first venture with corned beef probably 6 years ago was the exact same disaster as you described!

When I use the crock pot I don't generally put in more than a few tablespoons of any liquid, because both the meat and any vegetables you put in will throw off their own juices as well. If you try anything else in the crock pot, just keep the added liquids to a minimum and you should do much better!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Could it be the wine that was an extra liquid that made it so tough?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

That's what I was thinking chip, but the amount of wine, not the fact that it was there. A full cup of liquid will be quite a lot in a crock pot already full of meat!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

well that is usually how I cook "grocery store roasts" so I just did what I normally do.

I did cook it on low, not high.

I will try next time (I bought 2 roasts) to not use as much liquid. I might try to sear it first in some hot oil and see if that helps too.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I've been buying local grassfed meat for 3 years now & I've found you can't cook the roasts like you would the same cut from the grocery store. Some roast cuts I make kabobs with & do them on the grill. Other ones I do in the oven & cook them like a prime rib - eat 'em rare. Grass fed beef's not as fatty & doesn't seem to fall apart like stuff from the store.

The only cut I do in the crockpot now is brisket. Stick that in with some diced onions, diced carrot, & a little beef broth (like 1/2 cup). Cook on low all day.

hovad123 Guest

The best investment I have made since switching to grass fed beef is a jaccard. It is a meat tenderizer with 48 narrow blades that you punch into the meat to cut the connective tissue. Grass fed beef tends to be tougher b/c of the low fat content(esp the cheaper cuts), this turns everything into melt in your mouth and it also allows marinades and sauces to soak into the meat very quickly. I use it on meat I put in my smoker and slow cooker.

Thank you Hovad. I just ordered one. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll keep trying!

runswithbuffalo is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

With the leaner grass fed meats, you need to brown the roast first and cook on low for a little longer than the fattier meats.

THis is my mom's recipe:

3 lb. Buffalo Chuck Roast 1 tsp. Bouillon paste

One onion, sliced thin cup burgundy

1-2 tsp. Minced garlic 3-4 cups water

tsp. Pepper

Heat olive oil in a heavy black skillet, brown meat very well on all sides (the secret to dark, rich sauce or gravy is in the browning)

Mix spices (garlic and pepper) and bouillon with the burgundy in a small mixing bowl

Place buffalo roast in slow cooker and cover with sliced onions

Pour spiced burgundy over the roast, add water and cover

Cook for six hours or until meat is falling apart. Add water as needed so meat does not dry out.

Shred and mix well with sauce.

Good luck!

runswithbuffalo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast