Thread: Meat/Vegetable ratio? page

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member

Meat/Vegetable ratio?

Shop Now
    Hi all, Gina here. Newbie, 51, going through menopause (fun!). Trying to figure out what to eat.

I've already gleaned that my husband and I should be eating a whole lot more vegetables than we were eating. But is there an ideal meat-to-vegetable ratio we should be targeting?

Also, is there a thread here where people post recipes or meal ideas?

Thanks Paleo peeps!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    There's a whole section of the forum with recipes!
    Ideally, (and this is in the standard Primal, no tweaks world), the majority (volume wise) of what you eat should be vegetation of some sort. I usually aim for 1/2- 2/3 of my plate/ bowl being veggies, visually. Calorically, the majority of what you eat will be fat.
    Ex.: When I do spaghetti, I use zucchini noodles instead of pasta. For myself, it's generally, 1 large zucchini, 3-5 tbsp butter, 1/2-1 c cooked down spag sauce and 1/3- 1/2 lb Italian sausage. Bam, mostly veggies.
    Ex.: when I do curry, I put it over slightly wilted spinach. Bam, mostly veggies.
    Ex.: When we do steak, I have salad in what used to be my cereal bowls, and half plate of sauteed veggies, and steak. Bam, mostly veggies.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    There's no one thread for recipes and meal ideas, but there's a sub-forum.

Click on forum and it's the fourth one down: Primal Blueprint Recipes

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    If you do it by calories it is heavily bias towards meat. By volume, my plate is 1/3 protien 2/3 veggies. Your plate size will vary depending on your goals :P

theholla is offline Senior Member
    naiadknight really summed it up the basics.

My personal approach is to eat meat to meet my protein needs (most people need between .5 and 1 gram per pound of lean body mass; I shoot for around .8), and then just eat enough vegetables and fat to feel nice and satisfied. Sometimes, vegetables are only 50% of the meal by volume, like when I add 4 oz broccoli to my 2-3 egg omelet. Sometimes, it is most of the meal by volume, like when I have a salad that is about 5 cups spinach and avocado with 1 cup shrimp. I suspect it's pretty hard to overdo it on non-starchy vegetables.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout