Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF AFTER cheat meal? page

IF AFTER cheat meal?

Hi - I've tried googling this but can't seem to find an answer.

So I have a scheduled cheat meal on Sunday nights. I'm gluten intolerant so it usually involves rice products. Last night we had thai food - some pad thai, some rice, a chicken dish and some shrimp (oh, and some ice cream - I'm avoiding dairy the rest of the time due to a suspected intolerance). I woke up this morning feeling like I always do after my cheat - bloated and gross.

Before starting primal I would try to get back to 'normal' asap and force down a 'sensible' breakfast the morning after my cheat. Today I got the e-mail from MDA about IF and decided not to eat right away and let my body deal with the cheat meal before eating.

It's 1:15pm now and I'm hungry. Not sure if it's 'real' hunger or just my stomach expecting food. Still not sure how to tell. I was planning to IF until dinner or at least until late afternoon (I was thinking 3pm which would be 17 hours of IF since we stopped eating at 10pm last night). Am I on the right track? Is it right to IF after a cheat meal? Am I actually HELPING my body deal with the carbs (I eat under 50 grams of carbs a day every day except cheat meal day as I'm going for fat loss)?

Thank you for your help!!

Monty is offline Senior Member
    check out the leangains website. has some helpful info on IF'ing.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It's fine. I'd just warn about "using" IF to make yourself feel better or whatever. Your meal wasn't all that bad as to consider it a cheat in my opinion. Noodles ehh, I guess I see why you're classifying it as a cheat.

It's okay, you can eat now or in two hours it's not going to make a dramatic difference. If you're new to fasting it's best to establish a routine. I eat from 1pm till 8pm (twice a day usually, not like I eat non-stop) on mon-fri and dont' have a schedule for weekends. It works for me.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Sure, whatever. I also do not really consider your meal a cheat, but fasting has a multiple of benefits.

I, like iniquity, follow the lean gains approach.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree...doesn't sound like much of a cheat. a mild re-feed maybe.
    in terms of optimizing your IF time, you're doing great. eating increased carbs will raise your leptin levels, so while you are fasting the next day you will, theoretically anyway, be burning more fat that you normally would.

OK thanks for your feedback. What makes my Sunday meal a 'cheat' is the added carbs, the dessert (always ice cream) and the quantity.

Since my goal is fat loss, I am both keeping my carbs under 50 and counting calories (which I know is a point of contention on here). I have about 30 lbs to lose and I'm on a 'deadline'. I plan to maintain my primal lifestyle once the weight is gone, but to up my carbs to the 100-150 range as suggested on here.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    in terms of optimizing your IF time, you're doing great. eating increased carbs will raise your leptin levels, so while you are fasting the next day you will, theoretically anyway, be burning more fat that you normally would.
    Really?! This is great news then! I think I could happily IF each monday after my Sunday nigiht cheat. I've been in the routine of cheat meal every Sunday night for years (though I was not losing weigh tbefore as I was following the SAD during the rest of the week!!). Finding out that I could possibly burn extra fat by IF-ing on Mondays is awesome!!

How many hours would you guys suggest the IF last for, though? Should I go for a full 24 hours or should I cut it at 16-18?? What do you guys do?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesslikesstuff View Post
    How many hours would you guys suggest the IF last for, though? Should I go for a full 24 hours or should I cut it at 16-18?? What do you guys do?
    16 hours is fine. i'm not sure of all the science behind it, but your leptin levels will probably be high for a while, so if you are staying very low carb throughout the week, you will be burning extra fat for a couple of days.
    keep in mind that calories do play a role here too, so if the amount you're consuming on sunday's is way over the top and filled with sugary ice cream, you may see less fat loss than you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    16 hours is fine. i'm not sure of all the science behind it, but your leptin levels will probably be high for a while, so if you are staying very low carb throughout the week, you will be burning extra fat for a couple of days.
    keep in mind that calories do play a role here too, so if the amount you're consuming on sunday's is way over the top and filled with sugary ice cream, you may see less fat loss than you would like.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm googling this to try to find some science and to help me better understand how it works. I know about the calories . I keep my net calories to 1200/day 6 days/week and I know that I could be slowing things down with my cheat meal. I also know that if I don't allow myself a cheat once a week I will have a harder time resisting the SAD options when I'm out with friends, etc. I haven't quite figured out another way to stick to the healthy lifestyle I want without giving in to temptation with friends aside from a cheat meal. I'm constantly on the lookout for other ideas, though!

spascarella is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like the Eat Stop Eat method of 24 hour fasts. I'm 95% Primal now (raw dairy) and fast twice a week with good results. Would also recommend the Leangains method but its easy for me to go 24 hours without eating. http://bradpilon.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast