Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go ahead, have a sandwich! page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Go ahead, have a sandwich!

Primal Fuel
    I love bacon cheeseburgers. My wife and I will make them without the bun and eat with a knife and fork, and that's just fine. Except when it isn't. Sometimes I just want a regular burger with a bun and the whole thing. Of course, I don't want to have a white-flour bun that will wrack my insides, so what's a brother to do?

Behold the Oopsie Roll (yes, I know, dumb name). These totally primal (if you eat dairy) hold up to even the biggest burger, don't taste all eggy, aren't greasy, and don't change the flavor of your food like nut or coconut flours do. These are a godsend! Low calorie, almost no carbs! We made them the next day and used them for 'buns' for hot dogs during the Packer game.

3 large eggs
    pinch of cream of tartar (1/8 tsp)
    3 ounces cream cheese (Do not soften)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Separate the eggs and add cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store in a loosely open sack and allow to rest on the counter before use (otherwise they might be too moist). Can be frozen.

Notes: If you are making these to be savory (for burgers) you can add dry mustard and dill or other seasonings to the yolk mixture. If you want a more sweet roll, add a very small amount of stevia natural sweetener to the yolk mixture.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Jamie/Cleo's Oopsie rolls are a variation of the Atkins Revolution Rolls and have been very popular in the low carb community for some time now. They do fit the bill for sandwich fare to be sure!

Here are some other ideas for Oopsies: http://www.apinchofhealth.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5230

And the original Oopsie recipe from Jamie/Cleo's blog: http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009...ka-oopsie.html

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    edit: Dangit mizski, you beat me by like 10 seconds

Yeah these are pretty awesome, they were first invented as the "Revolution Roll" for the atkins diet in the 70's and then recently became the "oopsie roll" when cleochatra reinvented them on her blog.

Here is my favorite way to eat sandwhiches:

1/4th cup almond meal
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon coconut oil

Mix it all together and then pour it into one of these:

Microwave for 1 minute. (WITH THE LID OFF)

Obviously, to make two slices of bread double the recipe and make two servings. Spread some mayo and mustard on it, add some meat and rabbit food and enjoy your old fashioned sandwhich.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I just made these yesterday for the first time, and had a chicken sandwich! Definitely one to add to the repertoire when a lettuce wrap isn't hitting the spot.

Elspeth is offline Senior Member
    This would probably work for pizza crust too... yes???

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Yes, oopsies work for pizza crust. Also, if I'm using for pizza or just want a little taste change-up, I like to add about a Tbsp of parmesan cheese. Yum.

Also, I've found the recipe very scalable. I just keep the ratio of ounces of cream cheese the same as the number of eggs. For instance, if I'm using 5 oz of cream cheese, I use 5 eggs, etc. And I add just a pinch more of cream of tartar. I scale it up or down depending on what I'm making.

Both DH & I just like to snack on oopsies plain too. Yum.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    What if you don't have tartar? Would any vinegar do (in the same proportion)?

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    These are the bomb! Been making them for years. Just this morning I had a bacon and cheese sandwich on them for breakfast....love them! On Jamie's site, she has a ton more recipes that incorporate the same basic recipe / concept.

canio6 Guest
    Has anyone ever made these by hand (ie. not using a mixer)? Would my arm fall off trying to get the egg whites where they needed to be?

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't like them as sandwich buns but they make great French toast

Recipe: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....nch-toast.html
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast