Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb flu symptoms?? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Carb flu symptoms??

Primal Fuel
    Hello...

I had the worst night last night after day 1 of primal eating. I am just wondering if someone can direct me to info about the carb flu symptoms or discuss them with me here. I didn't sleep all night (normally have no trouble), I itched like crazy all over, I felt foggy and light headed, and I had restless leg syndrome (not too unusual for me--but worse last night then usual), a stomach ache and burping a lot. I tossed and turned all night! Just wondering what some of the commom symptoms are...

David_DC is offline Senior Member
    hey healthy11.

I've been doing this for 15 days now. My symptoms were not quite as bad, but I did have trouble sleeping, kind of achy muscle wise and had a mild, constant headache for about 8 or 9 days. Your body is ridding itslef toxins, its basically going through withdrawl of the sugar, the glutens, all the fake stuff you have been eating. so I was told, I was alos told to tought it out for 2 weeks and I should be gold. I did and on or around day 11 I started feeling great.

Just hang in there friend.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't sleep and tossed and turned all night. Before PB I never had problems sleeping. That was the worst. I also had flu like symptoms on the 4th day. Achy, weak, general feeling like crap. But my flu didn't last very long. And as for the insomnia, that went away too, but I still don't sleep as deep as I use to. I seem to wake up in the middle of the night more often and still do a little tossing and turning, but not as much. But I still feel rested when I wake up. I'm going to start taking magnesium supplements to see if that helps...seems to be the advice I see everywhere on this forum.

Kaytoo is offline Member
    Man, I didn't believe all of you about this carb flu thing, because for the first day and half or so, I felt perfectly normal. Then I went to work out last night after almost 3 days of Primal eating, and it was just ridiculously bad. I was doing my usual workout, only moving more slowly than I used to, and I felt like I could barely finish (even going at a walking pace with no resistance on the elliptical machine). Then today I could hardly get up the stairs at my train stop! I don't really feel achy, just... like I have the lethargy of the flu (without all the other horrible symptoms, luckily). David_DC, I'm glad to hear that this should be over soon!

David_DC is offline Senior Member
    Hello Kaytoo!

well, Today is one of the bad days. Not too terrible, just a slight headache and slight body ache. I'm told by my friends who have been doing this for a1year and 2 years respectively that this could last as much as 6 weeks, but usually between 2 to 4 depending on how much processed garbage you had been eating before you started. I ate a lot of processed garbage haha. But the good days definitely outnumber the bad days, and usually the next day I feel fine. Just hang in there =)

Kaytoo is offline Member
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well today, David! I was curious about what the party line is on painkillers, since I'm starting to get a little bit of the achiness, so I found the MDA post on natural painkiller alternatives. I'm thinking I might also be adding Magnesium to my drug store shopping list, in addition to the Omega-3s and Vitamin D that I already need to buy. Also, ginger! I am sensing some ginger beef in my future.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Today is day 3 and I woke up feeling great!! My diet was actually really clean before this - except for grains, so I am hoping I won't have any more carb flu, but who knows!

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck!

Katblack is offline Senior Member
    I have had mild symptoms. When dabbled eating primally a couple of weeks ago, I super lethargic. I mean I would just come home have every intention to do something useful and somehow would find myself on my bed passed out. Other than that I was fine. Now that I am re-doing the whole primal thing, I have a bit of trouble sleeping and my body feels tired when I try to exert myself. I thought perhaps I wasn't eating enough calories and it could still be the case, but know I know that it also could be the carb flu.
    You don't have to be sick to get well

BostonLisa is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I searched the word "symptoms" and found this thread because I've been feeling horrible the past week as well and I'm hoping some senior members can shed some light on this. I've been eating primal for a couple of months with dairy but cut the dairy a couple of weeks ago after not seeing results. Last week I think I started to go into ketosis since I started peeing a lot and finally I started dropping weight.

The past few days I've been experiencing horrible pain down the backs of my legs from my butt to my ankles. It seems to get worse at night and in the early morning. My appetite has dropped considerably (I suppose this is a good thing) as well. I read something about potassium being low so I've been drinking electrolyte enhanced water but that doesn't seem to help much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast