Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Don't Use Exercise Supplements page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Why I Don't Use Exercise Supplements

Shop Now
    A lot of people have been asking for my thoughts on supplementation. Here ya go!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I think an argument can be made for pre-workout BCAAs (if fasting) based on solid scientific evidence. The rest is right on.

That being said, you are more fit than I will ever be. :P

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Dude, don't make fun of The Situation, that's not cool.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to get BCAAs from a pre-workout meal of real food. I did some light Googling and found out that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are considered BCAAs and are present in meat/chicken, eggs, and dairy (as well as some plant sources), so is there a way to get a decent shot of BCAAs with a pre-workout mini-omelet with beef and cheese, or something? I usually just work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but if I could reap some benefits of "supplementing" with a small real food meal before working out, I could switch to noon training. I'd just have to lock my office and warn my officemate.

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Really agree with this.. eat primal, workout.. you will get your results.. 'nuff said

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    All good points as usual, Al - I still like my whey isolate though, I don't think it tastes bad and it helps ensure I get plenty of protein even if I don't eat steak and shrimp at every single meal while actively trying to build muscle. If I were maintaining, losing weight, or working on conditioning though I wouldn't bother.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff, Al! And your amazing physique is proof enough for me--even if I hadn't been reading something similar over at the PaNu blog...

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    I think an argument can be made for pre-workout BCAAs (if fasting) based on solid scientific evidence. The rest is right on.

That being said, you are more fit than I will ever be. :P
    Thanks! And of course an argument could be made for BCAA's- in fact it's made all the time. Hence my need to refute it!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Dude, don't make fun of The Situation, that's not cool.
    Sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey online. I hope that's what this is!

Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to get BCAAs from a pre-workout meal of real food. I did some light Googling and found out that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are considered BCAAs and are present in meat/chicken, eggs, and dairy (as well as some plant sources), so is there a way to get a decent shot of BCAAs with a pre-workout mini-omelet with beef and cheese, or something? I usually just work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but if I could reap some benefits of "supplementing" with a small real food meal before working out, I could switch to noon training. I'd just have to lock my office and warn my officemate.
    I also often like to work out in the morning on an empty stomach. Sometimes something small to eat is nice, though. I think you can do better than a pill or powder - try the omelet and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by coach81 View Post
    Really agree with this.. eat primal, workout.. you will get your results.. 'nuff said
    Yep. That sums it up well!

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    All good points as usual, Al - I still like my whey isolate though, I don't think it tastes bad and it helps ensure I get plenty of protein even if I don't eat steak and shrimp at every single meal while actively trying to build muscle. If I were maintaining, losing weight, or working on conditioning though I wouldn't bother.
    I hear ya. I drank post-workout protein shakes for years before I got over it. I understand that mindset but I have a different viewpoint now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Great stuff, Al! And your amazing physique is proof enough for me--even if I hadn't been reading something similar over at the PaNu blog...
    Thanks! I guess the proof is in the pudding. Mmm...pudding.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Nitzylplick is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Thanks! And of course an argument could be made for BCAA's- in fact it's made all the time. Hence my need to refute it!
    Not sure why you "need" to refute it, but how exactly did you accomplish it? I didn't notice any links to scientific studies. The only thing I saw in your post is that you tried glutamine and it didn't do anything for you that you were aware of over the course of several weeks. That's not even what the poster was discussing (there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine (not glutamine). For the record, I'm not claiming anything either way and haven't used BCAA's.

Bcaa?
    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast