Thread: cooking with tea seed oil? page

Loco Moco is offline Member

cooking with tea seed oil?

Shop Now
    i receieved this "stir fry tea oil" in a gift basket at christmas, and was wondering if it would be safe to cook with.

http://www.republicoftea.com/stir-fr...anic/p/V00504/

all vegetable and seed oils i generally stay away from, with the high PUFA content and commercial processing. but this is labeled "100% organic, extra-virgin, cold pressed tea seed oil"...and although the nurition info on the site doesn't go into much detail, the bottle i have reads 2g saturated fat, 13g MUFAs and only 1.5g PUFAs per tbsp.

does anyone have experience with this product? and based on the low PUFA would this oil be comparable to, say, olive oil?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of it. Sounds ok.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

xntrik is offline Member
    I bought a bottle of that same oil a few years ago. The first thing I did was make a salad dressing with it, and it was unbelievably disgusting. It had a greasy mouth feel, and it left a burning sensation in the back of my throat. The stuff tastes terrible. I threw it out.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    thanks for the replies - i tried some in a stir-fry a few nights ago and while the flavor was okay, the smell was a little odd. last night, i tried stir-fry again but did half-tea oil and half-coconut oil. definitely an improvement, but still not "omg amazing", you know? well...at least it was free, i don't have to feel guilty about not using it.

maybe i'll just use it for tanning oil, or something.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I was curious about but...it's still a seed oil, kwim? Glad you described it here.

I favor fats from animals and coconut oil myself. And macadamia nut oil once in a while.