Thread: How did I do?? First day of Primal eating! page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

How did I do?? First day of Primal eating!

Here is what I ate today... I think this will take some getting used to! Please tell me what you think...suggestions! Thank you!

Breakfast:
    Omelet (3 eggs, 2 slices uncured bacon, 1 small tomato, bunch of green onions, 1/2 an avocado)

Snack:
    Apple

Lunch: (not a very good one, but wanting to use some of what I have on hand pre-primal)
    Turkey sandwich (minus the bread)
    4 turkey slices (good quality deli meat), 1 small tomato, chopped black olives, sliced red onion, pepercinis, green leaf lettuce

Afternoon snack:
    1.5 cups mashed butternut squash with 2 Tbsp coconut oil and topped with about 1 Tbsp chopped raw almonds

Dinner:
    Stuffed red pepper (85/15 grass fed ground beef, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower rice, tomato paste, spices, grapeseed oil)

Totals: (from MyPlate) Protein 19.12% Carbs: 22.68% Fat: 58.2%
    Cals: 2021
    Fat: 138 g
    Cholesterol: 849 mg
    Sodium: 2075 mg
    Carbs: 121 g
    Fiber: 20 g
    Protein: 102 g
    Sugars: 36 g

P.S. I am a female 5'3" and weigh 165
    Last edited by healthy11; 01-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    You did great if you want to maintain your current weight.
    According to the book...For happy maintenance you can eat 100-150g of carbs.

If your goal is to lose weight however, you will need to drop the 2 snacks. Lower your carbs to <50g and up your fats to 60-70%. Also even though calorie counting is not advised, at the end of the day, you need to be in deficit if you want to lose weight. This automatically happens when you eat less then 50g of carbs and up your fats. Your sugar alone is more then what I eat in total carbs. I eat 20g per day to stay in ketosis. So how you did depends on your goal. Yes, it was a perfectly primal meal, but you will likely not lose weigh eating like that.

Thank you, eelnus! I am still reading the book and I know it will take a little practice to get it down. How long have you been primal and have you lost weight? I was thinking I needed to be at 100 and thought it was hard to get that much and that's why I added the snacks ...lol.

Newbie here!
    Last edited by healthy11; 01-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I've only been primal since New Years, so going into my 4th week. I initially lost alot of water weight but then it slowed to about 1lb a week. But even 1lb a week is 52lbs in a year. This time I feel like this is going to be an ongoing, long term process, not a crash diet. I read every book out there, from Why We Get Fat (really good), Life Without Bread, The Schwarzbein principle, The New Atkins, and the Primal Blueprint. So for me, quiting carbs was like quiting smoking...not that i ever smoked, but I have no desire to smoke because I know how bad it is, but that's how I feel about grains and sugar now that I have the knowledge.
    I keep my carbs low but I will probably tweak as I go. I'm doing vlc for 6 weeks, because some people advised that it takes that long to adjust to ketosis and switch to fat burning. After that, my plan is to do a higher carb days on the weekends. But in order to lose all cravings for sweets and carbs in the beginning, it is better to go cold turkey and cut out fruit and starchy veggies and stick to greens. We're in this together I suppose...learning...tweaking...advising. I look forward to seeing your progress...as well as my own:-)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If your goal is to lose weight however, you will need to drop the 2 snacks. Lower your carbs to <50g and up your fats to 60-70%. Also even though calorie counting is not advised, at the end of the day, you need to be in deficit if you want to lose weight. This automatically happens when you eat less then 50g of carbs and up your fats. Your sugar alone is more then what I eat in total carbs. I eat 20g per day to stay in ketosis. So how you did depends on your goal. Yes, it was a perfectly primal meal, but you will likely not lose weigh eating like that.
    +1 Feel free to check out my PB or FitDay journal for some ideas.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you, Dragonfly!