Thread: Bacteria and Beef Jerky page

dprest is offline Junior Member

Bacteria and Beef Jerky

Hello, I recently purchased an Excalibur dehydrator. I have read that when preparing beef jerky I need to first heat the beef in the oven to a core temperature of 160 degrees F before I put it in the dehydrator. The school of thought is that the bacteria will become resistant to the heat as the temperature gradually increases (i.e. bacteria become more heat resistant after drying). So it is necessary to first cook the beef more quickly to 160 degrees in the oven and then transfer it to the dehydrator for the slow drying process. My dehydrator has a max temp of 155 degrees. I wanted to get the opinion of someone more knowledgeable than I to inquire if I really need to go through this initial heating step on the oven before places the beef in the dehydrator. I would appreciate your insight. Thanks.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Cooking it first is completely unnecessary. This is a link to Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episode about making jerky. He'll explain why you don't need to cook it first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIK4DVLHf7Y

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bunk. Don't drink raw milk, don't eat raw egg yolk ra ra ra.

Get friendly with your butcher. Make sure they get there meat from a good abattoir (or better yet, buy from a farmer direct) and enjoy your tasty tasty jerky.