Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing 1/4 Cow - All Ground Beef? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Purchasing 1/4 Cow - All Ground Beef?

Primal Fuel
    I have purchased a 1/2 cow and a 1/4 cow. Now, don't get me wrong... I LOVE steaks and roasts. But, ground beef is A LOT easier to cook and you can do sooooo many things with it!

One of the options is getting the 1/4 cow processed into ALL ground beef. By doing this I would also get MORE meat! Should I go ahead and try this?

Has anyone ever ordered a 1/4 cow with it all being ground beef? I wouldn't mind more meat for the same price!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    My wife once asked that our 1/2 pig be all bacon. LOL No go.

I'd at least have the decent steaks saved out. Tenderloin, T-bone, rib eye. If you're going in with CW folks on the cow, you can probably score the tongue, heart, and liver for free. It worked for me.

Gordo

urbansix is offline Member
    We like our steaks but definitely use the ground beef the most. haven't used the ribs yet. I think on our next steer we will opt for more ground beef - nobody here has been too keen on the roasts and stew meats. I don't mind getting all of that ground, next time. I have been using the roasts for jerky. YMMV.

How do you get more, it being ground? Is it not all from the same animal?

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I don't know...I thought I'd only use th eground beef from our .25 cow, but I ended up finding amazing recipes for shredded beef, thai beef short ribs, kabobs, not to mention t-bone steaks (why are they so good? why!!?). Ultimately, its your money and your time, so get what you want. But there are some tradeoffs....

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    That would be A LOT of ground beef!

When I got my cow share there was a ton of ground beef in addition to the steaks. Trust me, you won't be lacking in ground meat! Go for the steaks and roasts too!

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I've not done it (yet) but the place I buy from (polyface farms) has a 1/4 cow package that is all ground beef. They call it the "meatloaf special" LOL. I can definitely see the attraction... I could make up a ton of meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, bolognese sauce, and still have a bunch left over for random recipes. I say go for it!!!

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    You'll get tired of ground beef... haha

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbansix View Post
    We like our steaks but definitely use the ground beef the most. haven't used the ribs yet. I think on our next steer we will opt for more ground beef - nobody here has been too keen on the roasts and stew meats. I don't mind getting all of that ground, next time. I have been using the roasts for jerky. YMMV.

How do you get more, it being ground? Is it not all from the same animal?
    It would all be from the same animal.

Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    I've not done it (yet) but the place I buy from (polyface farms) has a 1/4 cow package that is all ground beef. They call it the "meatloaf special" LOL. I can definitely see the attraction... I could make up a ton of meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, bolognese sauce, and still have a bunch left over for random recipes. I say go for it!!!
    Exactly! There is a lot you can do with ground beef.

Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    You'll get tired of ground beef... haha
    I really don't think I would.

Its just simpler to cook... I love to cook but am struggling to find time right now!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Do the organs typically get ground into the mix? I was just thinking about getting more of them on a regular basis without having to specifically cook them.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    ... not to mention t-bone steaks (why are they so good? why!!?).
    When you cook a steak with the bone in it, it adds flavor to the meat.

At our house, we run the grill a lot. We have a hard time figuring out how to use up the burger. Har.

Gordo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast