Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing 1/4 Cow - All Ground Beef? page 2

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    If you had it all ground, how would you wind up with more meat? A quarter cow is a quarter cow. I don't understand this part.

We got a quarter cow a year ago, and there was a TON of ground beef, but we ended up going through it pretty fast. I would say it is the most useful and versatile cut, but I wouldn't forgo the streaks and roasts.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be a shame to grind up t-bone and sirloin steaks. there's are REASON they are more expensive than ground.

alex_the_iron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    I think it would be a shame to grind up t-bone and sirloin steaks. there's are REASON they are more expensive than ground.
    TOTALLY agree!!

prairiedog is offline Member
    Sell the expensive cuts and use the cash to buy more ground beef.
    Primal Living since Jan 4/11
    http://prairieprimal.wordpress.com

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I may have been convinced to forgo making it all ground beef. How would I get more meat if I made it all ground beef? I have no idea. Its just what I remember the farmer telling me. There is the hanging weight. If it is 100 lbs. then you get about 60 lbs. of meat. I was told that if it were to be all ground beef then you would get up to 70 lbs. of the 100 meat.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiedog View Post
    Sell the expensive cuts and use the cash to buy more ground beef.
    It all costs the same no matter what I do... Its $2.75 per lb. of hanging weight.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Just tell the butcher not to waste anything, and turn whatever he can into ground meat. Any butcher worth this pay will do that and get you the most meat possible out of your cow.

I think what prairiedog was saying was, you can sell the better cuts for more than $2.75/lb. Hell, some of those cuts go for as much as $14/lb then turn around and buy yourself some more cheap meat.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Why not just get the cuts, and make your own ground beef out of sirloin, or round steaks etc.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Just received our 1/4 grass fed beef and it contained 30 lbs of ground beef, steaks, stew meat, roasts, I say celebrate the multitude of different cuts rather than taking the easy way out with ground beef.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    Just received our 1/4 grass fed beef and it contained 30 lbs of ground beef, steaks, stew meat, roasts, I say celebrate the multitude of different cuts rather than taking the easy way out with ground beef.
    This just made me remember about the fact that we had a calf this past time. We got about 20 lbs. of ground beef and less of the other stuff then we did the first time around. I have decided to go the normal route so I can enjoy the roasts and steaks! For the past 2 times I have made the stew meat into just ground beef but I am going to enjoy the stew meat for some stew this time around!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    Woah $2.75 a pound. Sounds like a great deal, especially if its grass-fed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast