Thread: Scotch eggs page

Tishkaminx Guest

Hi

I was wondering what people here think about scotch eggs as a primal snack. For those of you who don't know what they are - they are hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage meat and usually have some breadcrumbs around them to make them easier to handle. They are widley available in the UK and it's quite easy to scrape most of the breadcrumbs off with a tissue.

I was also wondering, if I made my own at home (better quality sausage meat and eggs)-what could I use instead of the breadcrumbs to stop the sausage meat being 'sticky'.

Thanks

Tishka

maba is offline Senior Member

That sounds delicious! I suppose you could use dessiccated coconut in stead of breadcrumbs, or even just an egg wash.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes, I was going to suggest dried, powdered coconut (unsweetened, obviously), or almond meal.

Sounds like something I should try!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

egmutza Guest

I've thought about trying these subbing the breadcrumbs with crushed pork rinds and/or almond flour.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Wow, I've never heard of those before but they sound very, very good.

I'd try making my own whenever possible. That way you can insure the quality of your sausage and choose pasture eggs if possible.

I was also thinking how it would taste if you wrap an egg in prosciutto ham and bake it.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

ah these bring me back to the summers when I was young and we'd go 'back home' to Scotland as my mum was from there

I dont know about a sausage and coconut combo...almond meal could work but then you'd have to be really careful about the temperature-Id think you'd need to bake them for sure rather than deep fry

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've deep fried with almond meal, and find toasting the meal in the oven first helps with the texture.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon