Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about fruits page

determined8 is offline Junior Member

question about fruits

Shop Now
    I am new to this and I am currently waiting on the book and to read it before I really get started on going Primal. But, I do have a question, I am allergic/sensitive to fresh fruit. It always makes my gums and lips very itchy. This doesn't happen when I eat canned fruit or drink fruit juice. But I also know they add a ton of sugar to that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can incorporate fruit into my primal diet when I start it? Any help would be appreciated.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Every type of fruit does this? I've never heard of that. Some fruits used to make my face get hot and red. I attributed it to pesticides. Which fruits, exactly, have caused this for you?
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Melody is offline Senior Member
    just skip fruit.

determined8 is offline Junior Member
    yes, it started when I was a teenager, almost overnight, same time I became allergic to cats. Every fruit I have eaten, Apples, Oranges, Bannanas, peaches, pears, avacados, etc... Even nuts do it sometimes, but not all the time. Like I said though, if I eat canned fruit it's no problem, I have thought about it possibly being the pesticides, but I washed them and it still does it.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    A few thoughts.

Is it just things marketed as 'fruits' or truly ALL fruits? I ask because things like avocado, tomato, eggplant, peppers, cucumber, squash, etc are all 'fruits'. Just not the super sweet ones we tend to think of as fruit.

Then I would only buy organic ones. Washing definitely does NOT remove all of the pesticides.

Now, That being said there are canned fruits that are packed in juice so buy those rather than the ones packed in syrup, applesauce can be found with no sugar added. Look for juices that are 100% juice. Those are pretty easy to find too. More so as a frozen concentrate it seems. But those are cheaper anyway!

And then, limit it. Fruit (esp. when processed into juice!) is a VERY sugar (natural but still sugar) concentrated food.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It sound like oral allergy syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

It should be specific to certain types of fruits, not all of them. You may be able to find fruits that are fine for you.

You don't need fruit to do PB, so don't let that hold you back. Start with meats, fats, and veggies and figure out the fruit as you go.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Buy organic fruit - the washing may not cut it.
    Do some gut work - probiotics, glutamine etc. If your gut is not well that is when people tend to all of a sudden get allergies to certain foods. Fix the gut and you may be able to introduce fresh fruit back.
    If you have weight to lose just skip the fruit for now.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I rarely eat fruit. You won't die without out it so if it causes you grief - don't eat it.

ineverlose is offline Junior Member
    Not sure if this happens with you with all fruits, but I recently developed a similar situation. If I bite into a fresh apple, my gums itch and my throat even feels dry and scratchy. The Oral Allergy Syndrome seems to make sense to me...on the advice of a friend, I tried peeling the skin off the apples and I had no problems at all. Maybe try peeling skins off the fruit, if possible (?). Seemed to work for me!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It sound like oral allergy syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

It should be specific to certain types of fruits, not all of them. You may be able to find fruits that are fine for you.

You don't need fruit to do PB, so don't let that hold you back. Start with meats, fats, and veggies and figure out the fruit as you go.
    +1 Def. Oral allergy syndrome. Fructose is not the best thing to be eating, anyway, so relax and eat your veggies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast