Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon - Advice Needed!!! page

otamstad is offline Member

Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon - Advice Needed!!!

Shop Now
    QUESTION - NEED SOME PRIMAL ADVICE!!!

Organic Farm Raised vs Wild Salmon

Today I went to the grocery store because I wanted to buy some salmon. Unfortunately you can't get fresh, wild salmon here in Switzerland. The only salmon I found was frozen. So I found two different ones in the freezer: 1. Wild Salmon and 2. Organic Farm Raised Salmon. I know that it's important to always buy WILD fish...but when I checked the nutrition facts of both, I got really confused...
    The Organic Farm Raised Salmon had 25g protein and 12.5g of fat...that's kind of what I am used to from the Wild Salmon I used to buy in California.
    The Wild Salmon had 28g of protein but only 3.5g of fat!!!!! How can wild salmon only have 3.5g of fat??? I know that salmon is really healthy, especially because of the omega-3's...but the Wild Salmon here has a lot less fat than the Organic Farm Raised!!!!
    WHICH ONE WOULD YOU BUY???????

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Farmed animals are always fatter than their wild counterparts, mostly because they are fed crap food. A fat animal is often an unhealthy animal. Buy the wild salmon.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Salmon farming trashes the environment. Buy the wild caught.

Gordo

Thanks!
    Just was wondering why the wild salmon has such a little amount of fat? In California it was actually the opposite. The wild salmon had around 13g of fat and the farmed salmon only 3g. It does make sense that wild animals are leaner by nature, but isn't salmon supposed to be pretty fatty???

runnerbean is offline Member
    Is the frozen salmon perhaps chum or pink salmon? The different varieties have quite different fat contents. The fresh fish we get in season on the pacific coast is usually sockeye or coho, the "more desirable" varieties. Chum and pink is mostly canned or frozen. I personally quite like it though. You might have to add some fat if you are grilling so it doesn't stick and fall apart.
    Salmon freezes pretty well. In fact even fresh salmon was almost certainly frozen for a time in the hold of the ship that caught it so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Might be worth looking around to see what varieties are available in different stores in your area and what you like best, though.

LEED3D is offline Member
    I'd avoid farmed Salmon at all costs. They are fed all sorts of nasty crap and chemicals. Even if it's organic.. that just means they aren't using GMO's, antibiotics etc.. However, they are still being fed grains and who knows what else. You also have to consider all the pollution run off ending up in the salmon ponds on the farms. I'd avoid it if you can! Wild caught Salmon is some of the best meat you can buy IMO. Absolutely loaded with Omega 3's!

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otamstad View Post
    Thanks!
    Just was wondering why the wild salmon has such a little amount of fat? In California it was actually the opposite. The wild salmon had around 13g of fat and the farmed salmon only 3g. It does make sense that wild animals are leaner by nature, but isn't salmon supposed to be pretty fatty???
    because wild salmon eats omega three algae and farm raised salmon has been taught to eat pellets of corn (omega 6 and starch) and grains. Never buy farmed anything unless you want to die or get sick.

ibtbone is offline Junior Member
    Farmed salmon is definitely not healthy especially because the food/pellets they feed them are corn based, a nono in the PB program. Also on the wild side there are mercury level concerns depending on where they are harvested. Do the research before you buy that's all I have to say

Good Hunting!

Thanks so much for the great advice!!!
    I will do my research and definitely ALWAYS buy the WILD Salmon!!! Thanks again for the help! The support and advice in here is so awesome!!! ...and PRIMAL the best thing I have ever discovered!!!!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I ALWAYS buy wild caught fish and seafood and avoid farm raised at all costs.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast