Thread: How much money do you spend on food? (UK) page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

How much money do you spend on food? (UK)

We're trying to be as primal as possible, but organic food is generally quite expensive and I don't really think we can afford it on only one wage. I would prefer to buy only organic though.

Currently we're spending between 200 and 300 a month on food. That includes household stuff as well, but that's not something we buy a lot of as we're mostly using ACV and bicarbonate of soda for cleaning. We're two adults by the way.

How much do you guys spend on food, and do you only buy organic?

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    We spend about 300 a month. Not just organic. It sure was cheaper when we lived off crappy pasta and bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    We spend about 300 a month. Not just organic. It sure was cheaper when we lived off crappy pasta and bread.
    Yeah, me and my ex used to spend less than 50 a week on food ... But then I felt rubbish most of time as well!

Primal Rolla is offline Junior Member
    I was worrying about this the other day. I think I am easily spending about 350-400 a month. (Yikes!) I buy mainly organic. I think I am saving money overall by not eating out (for now), but it is still a bit of a concern. We are two adults who eat the same dinners, but my husband is not primal.

Vegetarian living was a lot cheaper - but I felt like crap.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    If organic is a worry, don't push it. Lamb is always grassfed (too expensive to do otherwise). Maybe nearby farmers are "old style" but can't afford organic certification. Whereabouts are you? If in doubt at the supermarket, buy British (look for the little red tractor). It's not chemical/grain free, but it meets decent hygiene, welfare standards. Please don't do Danish bacon!

I'm very fortunate - my own hens are laying so that's 2-3 eggs a day; I spend vaguely 20/week on "bits" and think nothing of spending 70-80 for e.g. a bulk load of our own lamb or beef (I work with the livestock so the prices are staggeringly cheap considering it's all grass fed etc). This all goes in the chest freezer. I also make the most of local freebies - rabbit, pigeon, unwanted game.
    There is only me, I'm only small, and I I.F. a fair bit so don't really eat a lot.
    Toiletries etc have really been streamlined - I buy a certain soap in big bags, ditto coconut oil, and my shampoo is 25 for a bottle that lasts about a year. Crystal deoderant was about 3 and is still the same size as 6 months ago! So that's another no-need-to-replace thing. Barely wear make up.

I would really suggest investing in a massive freezer - then you can bulk buy and/or stock up on special offers.
    Also, I eat a very meat-based diet. Snacks and treats - nuts, yoghurt, cheese etc - REALLY whack the costs up. I can blow my normal 20 on ingredients to make "primal brownies" for example.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    If organic is a worry, don't push it. Lamb is always grassfed (too expensive to do otherwise). Maybe nearby farmers are "old style" but can't afford organic certification. Whereabouts are you? If in doubt at the supermarket, buy British (look for the little red tractor). It's not chemical/grain free, but it meets decent hygiene, welfare standards. Please don't do Danish bacon!

I'm very fortunate - my own hens are laying so that's 2-3 eggs a day; I spend vaguely 20/week on "bits" and think nothing of spending 70-80 for e.g. a bulk load of our own lamb or beef (I work with the livestock so the prices are staggeringly cheap considering it's all grass fed etc). This all goes in the chest freezer. I also make the most of local freebies - rabbit, pigeon, unwanted game.
    There is only me, I'm only small, and I I.F. a fair bit so don't really eat a lot.
    Toiletries etc have really been streamlined - I buy a certain soap in big bags, ditto coconut oil, and my shampoo is 25 for a bottle that lasts about a year. Crystal deoderant was about 3 and is still the same size as 6 months ago! So that's another no-need-to-replace thing. Barely wear make up.

I would really suggest investing in a massive freezer - then you can bulk buy and/or stock up on special offers.
    Also, I eat a very meat-based diet. Snacks and treats - nuts, yoghurt, cheese etc - REALLY whack the costs up. I can blow my normal 20 on ingredients to make "primal brownies" for example.
    You're very lucky.

I've just started a new job where I should be able to make more money, but I will need to get my skill level up first and that will take while. But Maybe next year I will be earning enough to afford organic.

I'm in South Essex by the way.

Lamb is one of my favourites so we do by a lot of that already. We normally buy Sainsbury's cooking bacon, and I don't think that's Danish but I don't know for sure.
    We haven't got room for a big freezer, but that's something we want to buy in the future.

I have found a few organic farmers who deliver meat and veg, and it's not too bad if you go for one of they're weekly/monthly boxes. I just don't know weather it would actually be enough food, but one can but try.

You're right about snack foods. Nuts are really pricey! They are really handy though, and nice too.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!