Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerns: Loss of muscle mass page

Jonesy is offline Junior Member

Concerns: Loss of muscle mass

Shop Now
    I understand that on a low carb diet such as the paleo diet the majority of the energy is derived from the fat stores. My concern is whether there is a significant risk of muscle mass being broken down to provide glucose. What steps should be taken to prevent this? Is it to do with the ratio of protein intake to lean body mass? Or is it more to do with the amount of carbs ingested?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    You won't lose mass. I've recompositioned about 18 pounds since September (measured with calipers). Follow the program and make sure to LHT and SPRINT as recommended in the PB.

Thanks for your response.

I am not a fan of sprinting on foot due to the strain on the knee joints, however, I am a keen road cyclist. Will all out sprints on the bike yield similar results?

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Carbs have very little to do with it, and your body does not need to break down muscle for glucose. Eating a truckload of protein is the key.

And to the best of my knowledge bike sprints aren't quite up to scratch, as they are less 'full body' than sprints (not to mention that sprinting will actually strengthen your knees). They're better than nothing though.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    No, No and No. Ketosis is a biologically appropriate state for humans. It just doesn't make sense that in an evolutionary environment, we'd have been constantly loosing muscle mass due to eating a diet *which we evolved to eat*. Evolution would select against it.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Looks like I'll have to man up and start sprinting. I'm blessed with grassy hills in my local area that should increase the intensity and support my knees better than asphalt etc.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Hill sprints are without doubt the best.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    While I love barefoot hill sprints, cycling is a good substitute. If you love it and don't like sprints, do what you know you will stick to - go all out then coast till ya catch your breath and repeat - seems the natural state of cycling is HIIT. As the weather warms up you might want to toss your shoes and hit a hill - I always loved cycling and hated running, but its sprinting not running and after a few goes I found that I really love it. If you don't want to lose muscle mass then do resistance exercise (lift heavy things). This will promote protein sparing - I gained muscle while losing 60 pounds - If you don't know what your losing get your body fat tested or learn to use calipers and test yourself (you can also find programs online that will allow you to enter your metrics and get a reasonable estimation) Even if your not spot on you will easily be able to tell if your losing fat or muscle.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Looks like I'll have to man up and start sprinting. I'm blessed with grassy hills in my local area that should increase the intensity and support my knees better than asphalt etc.
    Grass is good. Go without shoes, it will take the heat off your knees.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Sisson mentioned in a podcast that he uses a stationary bike to "sprint" if he's nursing an injury that prevents him from running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast