Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Very Primal Thanksgiving page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

What are your primal plans for Thanksgiving dinner?

Some of the things I make are primal already:

Turkey (which I brine and then inject with lemon butter OMG)

Spinach Salad w/onion dressing, bacon, hard boiled eggs

Veggies and a cheese ball

And I also make green bean casserole, but I think I might make a green bean salad instead - maybe something with almonds and feta cheese?

Then there's potatoes... usually I made mashed potatoes because people love them, but I don't eat very much because the other food is too good. haha. I might still make mashed potatoes (I use LOTS of butter/cream/cheese, sometimes stock).

Or I might make mashed sweet potatoes. Both are a 20% thing, but sweet potatoes have more nutrients, right? (No sugar, I'd just add butter.)

The least-primal thing I make for Thanksgiving is my stuffing... it's AMAZING, with sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts and things like that. I think I may still make it though, because it's made with sourdough bread.

Since sourdough bread is made w/a long fermenting process, wouldn't that make it much easier to digest than other breads?

I've been experimenting with pumpkin-pie-like fillings, and will probably make a primal pumpkin pie (almond flour crust) with homemade whipped cream (no sugar added) for dessert.

What are your menu plans for Thanksgiving?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ooh I CAN'T WAIT for Thanksgiving, I'm so excited for the day and for the leftovers! I'm doing turkey, roasted sweet potatoes (we did those last year instead of mashed potatoes, and liked it better anyway), probably a salad of some sort, gravey from the turkey drippings (have to figure out a good way to thicken it), and pumpkin pie custard (just no crust). I'm going to use heavy cream for the pie, I tried with coconut milk and it was pretty good, but cream would be better. And whipped cream with a touch of vanilla is delicious, no sugar needed!

I don't know about stuffing, I don't want any but hubs might revolt. I used to do green bean casserolle too, but there are so many processed ingredients it's hard to really do a primal version like you said.

Really, I'm most excited for the turkey, then turkey soup, turkey salad, turkey everything!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The leftovers were always my favorite, especially turky, mayo, and pepper sandwiches. I just might have to allow myself one this year. Some mayo other than soy based, of course.

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Oh, thanks A LOT - my first day, and FlyNavyWife has to post about my FAVE day of year LOL :-)

OMG - I will so miss the mashed potatoes ...

Does anyone know how to make a carb-free gravy?

Ok, I'm panicky now, and getting hungry - I'm going to sleep and dream of that stuffin' my grandma used to make ...

Mr Meso

DebFM is offline Senior Member

My family & I are travelling to my mom's in the midwest this year. She & I will cook for 10 - 15 people. Mom's mostly primal, too, and we've been discussing our menu quite a bit. Here's what we've come up with: turkey, regular stuffing, mashed potatoes (w/ tons of butter), sweet potato hash w/ onion & cinnamon, green bean casserole. We're either going to try to primalize the green bean casserole using cornstarch to thicken the white sauce or just make sauteed beans with almonds for ourselves.

We'll make the usual pies plus a lightly sweetened pumpkin pudding for ourselves. I make this anyway as my kids don't like pie crust in the pumpkin pie. Just butter a casserole dish & put the pie filling in.

And, as always, family time will be really, uh, "fun". My sister in law is completely CW, super-low fat/high carb diet and, as a result, my niece and nephew are very fat. It's really sad.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Hm, if I spend Thanksgiving with my parents, they're both low carbers, so it'll be a good dinner. If I spend it at my SO's family...the sugary stuff will be out in full force.

Griff is offline Senior Member

No such thing as a carb-free gravy, but I'd try making it with coconut flour instead of regular flour. Also, I'm going to suggest mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.

We aren't going to be making our T-giving dinner - we have to go to the non-Primal in-laws - so if they won't make mashed cauli I'm going to make and bring it myself. I'll be having turkey with turkey and green salad. If everything on the table is carb-heavy except the turkey, then I'll be having turkey (with the skin!) and nothing but. I'm going to be a hard-nose about this, because I have no wish to have even a holiday sugar spike in my blood glucose records.

It'll probably be easier for me than for my husband. What I've been reading about nutrition and especially about grain-based foods has made me ill every time I smell baking bread or potatoes now.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

JamieBelle is offline Member

I think I'm just going to have to let Thanksgiving day be my 20% for the month of November. I'll do my best to be very strict the rest of the month. One day of crap won't kill me or my progress.

Same for Christmas and December I suppose.

Worse comes to worse I'll just eat meat and veggies only, have maybe one bite of the rest of the stuff if I feel compelled to do so. I might try the fruit and nut stuffing I saw the recipe for on here somewhere, and add some sausage to that.

Mr Mesolithic Guest

If I can't get by with some type of low carb pumpkin pie with cream, turkey, and maybe low carb cheescake or something, I'll be fine ... I think?

I gotta' make it through this first week so far, today is ROUGH - UGH :-(

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

As far as thickeners go... I've read about arrowroot powder working well, so maybe try that for the gravy / green bean casserole?

Pretty sure corn starch is non-primal though. I mean, it's starch. From corn.

Mr Meso you'll do great. Coming from someone who used to get "the shakes" and all that I hope you believe me!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast