Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Very Primal Thanksgiving page 3

Shop Now

Shazkar, very easy to do!

Lots of nuts, some raisins, some sweet potato chunks, apples, celery, etc.

cocobean Guest

hannahc what do you use as a sugar substitue for the pumpkin pie? I'm wanting to make this and have found ways to make the pie primal except for the sugar.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh, I don't use any I made the pie with a can of organic coconut milk (full fat, unsweetened) instead of sweetened condensed milk, 2 eggs, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and organic canned pumpkin. The crust was pecan meal (pecans put through the food processor), butter, and a pinch of salt pressed into a pie pan. I have always hated artificial sweeteners though, so I never started using them, and have cut out 98% of my sugar intake in the last 3 months (I've averaged about 1 dessert per month for the past three months, and that's about it). I just don't like things that sweet anymore. I find the spices and the natural sugars in the coconut and pumpkin are plenty flavorful, though I had to adjust to the new taste of the pie at first.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

You can use cut up apples for the stuffing. They taste soooo good when they bake with all the drippings from the turkey and they give a turkey a really great flavor as well.

Geoff is offline Member

My Thanksgiving fantasies all involve a sausage stuffed turduken...

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

WOW1 That looks awsome. Got a recipe?

I've been dying to make a Turducken, but a SAUSAGE stuffed Turducken? Whole new level.... ;-)

BTW, if y'all haven't had a deep-fried Turkey, you are TOTALLY missing out.

My dad brings one to Thanksgiving every year since he brought some 'scraps' once and now they demand that he brings the whole thing.

(I must invest in a large Turkey Deep-fryer.....)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Hahaha Turducken...I was HORRIFIED when I saw that last year...a Turkey stuffed with a duck that's stuffed with a chicken that's stuffed with sausage...I'm pretty sure something was wrapped in bacon as well! At this point I don't find it horrifying at all, just really expensive!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Geoff is offline Member

Expen$ive indeed. That's why I suspect it will remain in my fantasies until my ship comes in... I've seen it prepared but never actually done it myself.

As for a recipe, the web is replete with them, but most web receipes will tell you to stuff it with cornbread dressing or some such other carb-tacular nonsense. We know better.

As was pointed out you bone out a turkey, a duck, and a small chicken (easier said than done), and then stuff the chicken in the duck, and the duck in the turkey. Except you're not really cramming the small bird in the cavity - because they're deboned it's more like making an all meat jelly roll. Spread out the turkey, spread with bulk sausage (or minced shrimp or crawfish if you're so inclined), spread out duck, more sausage, finally chicken and another layer of sausage. Roll it up, sew it up and set to heat. Cooking it through can be tricky - use a meat thermometer.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

O god, that sausage stuffed turduken will now also inhabit all my holiday food fantasies...

Thanks for the pumpkin pie idea, hannahc. Im going to look for organic canned pumpkin since thanksgiving is coming soon here in canada.

Ive havent made turkey since going primal..do you all buy free range turkeys?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast