Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Very Primal Thanksgiving page 2

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Ha I feel the same way about corn starch I stopped using it after reading Omnivore's Dilemma, after the author pointed out that pretty much every processed food comes from corn or soy. And there's no way I could ever find corn starch in the wild, or make it on my own, it can only be made by industrial processes...Definitely not Primal!

Anywho, what else will everyone do for Thanksgiving? I'm really trying to find ways to make celebrations more about doing things than eating, does anyone have any good family traditions? Touch football? Everyone going for a walk after dinner? Family card or board games?

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

marci Guest

people- check out this link for some great Primal ideas if you haven't already

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-c...iving-recipes/

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

This is soooo strange. I'm very excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas but I couldn't care less about starchy grainy traditional parts of it. I just don't crave it anymore. I do agree that you have to have some appropriate substitutions if you're gonna go that route. After all, it's a tradition.

Griff, good call on cauliflower "mashed tators". I was thinking maybe a bit of mashed sweet potatoes just for the heck of it, but that's even better.

We're probably going to be cooking for a big family this year neither one of whom are primal so I'm going to have all the regular goodies made for them. They are the kind of people who might literally have a heart attack if there are no real mashed tators, stuffing, or pies.

But I will also be making some broiled veggies, cauli mash, crustless pumpkin pie and that should make me very happy. Oh, instead of traditional turkey, I think we might go with some nice ham.

By the way, where are you going to be getting your turkeys from? I checked the local farms and they range in price between $60 and $75 depending on weight. That might be kind of pricey for me.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I'm going to do turkey, gravy, mashed cauliflower, green beans with butter/almonds, and some kind of dessert. I was actually thinking I could make a berry or pumpkin pie with an almond flour crust. My daughter tried the pizza I made over the weekend and her first comment was that the crust tasted like pie crust.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Oh, that sounds good. I've read before from the poeple who tried making pie-crusts with almond or coco flour that it's a bit hard to handle.

pandapuffs Guest

What about pumpkin mousse? I've never made it, but it seems like you could do something creamy and custardy and delicious in little ramekins, no crust required.

Pandora Guest

Wow, so many great ideas! I live in Canada so Thanksgiving is coming up in a couple weeks!! I'm just cooking for myself and my b/f though, so I don't have to worry about pleasing a posse of CWers. I'm terrified about Christmas with the in laws though...hopefully I can show them the light when my b/f sings my thanksgiving praises! Anyway, since this is my first holiday gone primal, I really wanna have a lot of fun with it and experiment. My b/f has given me license to primalize the whole works, but he wants cranberry sauce and I dunno how I'll monkey that one. The stuffing will be breadless. maybe something with fruit and nuts? Not too sure yet.

I'd love to have squash of some kind, are there any that aren't too starchy? I'd be happy with just the pumpkin pie filling the bill, but squash with butter and a sprinkle of nutmeg....mashed potatoes got nothin' on that!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Use fresh cranberries Pandora! I've never made cranberry sauce from scratch, but it seems that if you used some nice spices you could at least cut down on whatever sugar is usually there. I'm starting to really want mashed cauliflower drenched in butter...

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

Every year I attend a pot-luck thanksgiving at my sister's church. I haven't quite decided what to bring this year, but will keep watching this thread.

I wanted to say something about the gravy problem everyone is having. I've been playing around with making curry each week and found that before I add all the seasonings, it looks/tastes/acts like cream of mushroom (with ground beef in it lol). I bet if you were to brown some beef, collect the drippings, add coconut milk and some small cut mushrooms.... primal cream of mushroom?

On that note, use coconut milk in place of the normal wondra(or flour)/milk(or water) "roux" that most people use to make the gravy. I would recommend finding a brand you like first, as some can be unexpectedly sweet or coconut-y (even if labelled as unsweetened), and experiment before the big day.

I think we should, as a community of pioneers, reinvent Thanksgiving. Rather than try and mimic the current one, blaze a new path and decide on new "traditional" dishes to serve that fall in with our way of living.

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

how would one make primal stuffin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast