Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Addiction page

abqgirl is offline Member

Carb Addiction

I just made myself eggs and bacon breakfast, had almost a whole avocado (yum) and I am full. Why do I still feel the desire to eat something? Is this the addiction talking? Is it my body saying "you didn't have any grains, you need to eat some toast" ? (i have none in the house and have not for months now)

Has anyone else experienced this? It happens to me often, after almost every meal. I haven't been doing this long enough or "strict" enough to break the cycle I guess. I have been using sugarless gum as my crutch to get through the cravings but I have none at the moment and am finding myself needing it all the time now. I was hoping others had advice on how they got through this, how long it lasted, etc.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been doing this long enough or "strict" enough to break the cycle I guess.
    ^This. It can take weeks (or longer) if you keep feeding the cravings. Sugar-free gum is not the best solution since you are still feeding the habit of needing the "sweet" taste. Took me 2 weeks to stop craving sweets, but if I start eating too much 70% chocolate, the cravings return. (I really need to switch to 85% chocolate!)

Eat fat. Coconut manna was my go-to the first few weeks of Primal. If dairy works for you, eat cheese--it's my favorite after-dinner "dessert".

Stop eating all fruit/sugar/grains. Eat starchy carbs like sweet potatoes to get some carbs, if you want.

who
    who is offline Member
    Thanks dragonfly! That helped me too. Good question OP.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I've learned to distinguish what I call "body hunger" from "brain hunger." For me, body hunger (NOT stomach growling, but a deep need for food) indicates I'm actually missing something that comes in food. Brain hunger is my Idiot Child, acting out because the clock has turned a certain number of cycles, or some other, false reason that has nothing to do with nutrition and everything to do with emotion.

Drinking black coffee was a big help in getting control of said Idiot Child. Unfortunately, I've been abusing coffee for too many years; I cut back *lots* of times and always reverted. So I've given that up (cold turkey, because I've tapered and regressed too many times). It wasn't pleasant, but now I drink hot herbal teas and more water. That's going to be win-win for me as I heal my adrenals.

The other thing that's helped with my personal IC has been some mental conditioning - I *like* the feel of being leaner. I focus on that feeling, including a greater alertness, instead of whatever the IC thinks it's missing right now. That is taking longer, but it's coming.

You'll work out, with occasional errors, what works for you.

What is coconut manna?

Thanks for the replies, helps quite a bit. I do have experience quitting stuff, this seems harder.

Funny you mentioned coffee, Annlee, I am just like you with the coffee. It was the first thing I thought of when I wanted more food. Since I already abuse coffee something fierce, I may try that to break the sugar/bread cycle. One thing at a time is about all I can handle. Because "too much of everything is just enough" for me, I do not know how to cut back on anything. I have to be all or nothing. I hate the cravings though. Time to start listening to my body and ignore the brain. LOL

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abqgirl View Post
    I have been using sugarless gum as my crutch to get through the cravings but I have none at the moment and am finding myself needing it all the time now. I was hoping others had advice on how they got through this, how long it lasted, etc.
    You might find this interesting (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...diet-soda.html) --

"Artificial sweeteners, I believe, condition you to crave sweets. I have only personal and anecdotal clinical experience to support this, but it seems reasonable. I notice if during a long fast I drink diet soda, I get hungry about 15 minutes later every time."

Try ditching the gum and having something not-sweet instead - that was where the coffee did it for me, and now the herbal teas fill the bill. Alternatively, someone (Barbeygirl??) suggested having hardboiled eggs on hand. If you're really hungry, they meet the need. If they aren't attractive, you aren't really hungry.
    Last edited by Annlee; 01-22-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: proofreading too late

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

neandertal is offline Member
    I just started paleo but I will be honest potatoes fruits and milk products are a necessity for me.

Other than that white rice after some workouts.

Once a weak a feast with all my favourite unhelthy grains
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

burrowc is offline Junior Member
    It took my about 2 weeks to control it. Now,when I feel I need that little something extra because something is missing,I reach for a small amount of 70% or higher Dark Chocolate. Yes, I hated the taste of dark chocolate before I started this diet, but I'm not consuming sugar and sweets the Dark Chocolate is actually sweet to me and my fruits are sweeter than they have ever been. strawberrys and blueberrys are a good extra!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Now that I get that it is all mental, I can work with that. Last weekend the football snacking was a disaster, this time I am prepared and I ate a good lunch and have paleo snacks on hand. No cravings necessary.

The coconut manna looks great. I must get some. I really like that brand of coconut oil too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast