Thread: Please help me modify PB for my special needs page

Seraffa Guest

Please help me modify PB for my special needs

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I have a big question for other PB'ers who think they could help. I am going to have to

do a modified plan, being starch intolerant and fructose intolerant, and need to make

important adjustments to the volume of veggies and lactose-based "carbs" I will be

consuming. The problem is, I have always overeaten when trying to use the PB, because

somehow my intolerances make me think I can eat all I want of veggies or protien now; couple

that with the fact I have not been exercising for years, I don't have much control over milk

or cheese-based cravings, either. So I'm always on this see-saw of either ingesting too much

protien, too much fat, or maybe once or twice a week, too much lactose, and I am very

frustrated over this! I need a little help finding my balance, here. (I do take vitamins and

minerals, but don't take Mark's brand yet because I am Hyperthyroid, consume all my vitamins

and minerals separately so as to avoid minerals that aggrevate my thyroid.)
    I have gained 10 pounds after getting rid of starches and sugars and getting my thyroid

levels "back in range" - so, my digestion is far better than it was in the beginning! My

insulin levels are in range too. But I have not started my exercise program, and definitely

overeat.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I personally wouldn't worry about consuming all the meat and non-starchy veggies you want. The dairy, otoh, if you are over doing it (or intolerant--which I am) could be a major cause of problems. Have you tried cutting back on dairy (or cutting it out totally) and then eating mostly meat and veg? Just a hunch, but I'd guess its not the protein/meat and non-starchy veg that are the issue. How do you know you are eating 'too much'? Weight gain?

Just a thought! I hope you find the help you need! Personally, eating lots of meat and nonstarchy veg makes me feel better than anything else. I also use coconut milk in place of dairy in many dishes, and I loooooove it.

Just my .02--hth!!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 01-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Tracking calories using an online calculator can be a great short-term way to get more conscious about your food. It's working for me--and though not all here are a fan of tracking--there are some of us who have found it helpful. www.Dailyburn.com is a pretty good one.

Seraffa Guest
    Thank you - am very grateful. I know i'll have more questions as i go along......so please bear with me.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    What I do is figure my protein requirements, figure out how much raw meat that means (most are 17-22g protein per 100g raw), then round out with starchy and fibrous veggies. I assume that fibrous veggies are acaloric (not exactly true but pretty close) so add fat depending on how much more I need.

Seraffa Guest
    I'm in sheer terror of too many carbs coming from the veggies.....so many low-carb diets warn you and warn you about "carbs coming from any source." And since I'm 36% body fat, I'm very hard on myself.

No matter how "lean" the meat is, I have a daily graph that tracks my food ingested, showing me that the fat I'm already taking in each day (without added oils) is about 54% of my diet! Is that okay? There's not much else I can eliminate fatwise, beyond that!

I've started whittling down my decaf coffee and tea to ONE cup daily, only in the evenings, to give my body the chance to "clearup and wake up" on its own in the morning.....and to ward off any leftover "cravings" for "something sweet" at the end of the day. I drink distilled water or plain herbal tea otherwise. I had to say to myself: 'When we were in-vitreo in the mother's womb.....we didn't rely on all these extra stimulants in order to live or to be healthy! What happened to us once we became young adults, and developed our nutritional deficits and started mistreating our bodies, knowingly or unknowingly?"

I can see the difference this ONE SMALL CHOICE I MADE with decaf is starting to become SIGNIFICANT....and is helping to quell my "seesaw" of eating 2 and 3 meals at a time! (And I always thought "decaf was healthier"...........WOW, IT IS NOT!!)

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    These are starch and sugar carbs (the ones that count) per 100g of various raw veggies:
    Broccoli: 4
    Kale: 8
    Spinach: 2
    Asparagus: 2
    Cauliflower: 2
    Collards: 2
    Onions: 7
    Cabbage: 3

As you can see, most veggies are quite low-carb and you would have to eat pounds of the stuff to get appreciable amounts of digestible carbs from them. Avoid the obvious starchy vegetables, which are the ones that grow underground, and the call-them-vegetables-but-they're-really-fruits (all squashes, tomatoes, peppers) and you don't have too much to worry about. Check nutritiondata.self.com for the other veggies if you like, but you'll soon get a sense of which veggies are carby and which aren't so much, really.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraffa View Post
    No matter how "lean" the meat is, I have a daily graph that tracks my food ingested, showing me that the fat I'm already taking in each day (without added oils) is about 54% of my diet! Is that okay? There's not much else I can eliminate fatwise, beyond that!
    Yes its totally ok and normal. From my reading here, most PBers get between 55-80% of their calories from fat. I personally tend to sit in the 65-70% fat range daily. And I eat a lotr of carbs compared to some PBers (so eating lowerr carb your fat % would prob go up more.)

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Seraffa Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you SO much!!! I totally forgot about the carb-minus-fiber equation regarding the veggies, and that's WONDERFUL!!! *very happy now*