Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me that I should buy grass fed rather than conventional page

who
    who is offline Member

Convince me that I should buy grass fed rather than conventional

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I basically only spend money on food, but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible.
    I'm a college student. I'm cheap.

Please reson me into forking it over for good quality meat and eggs.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Think of it as health insurance. You are reducing inflammation by eating foods higher in Omega 3s, as well as eliminating hormones or antibiotics that can mess up your system. Kinder to the animals, too.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    It's worth it just for the flavour. There's a huuuuuge difference between a nice, orange-yolked, satisfying pastured egg and a tasteless pale-yellow blob of a store egg. And there's no point in eating steak that doesn't taste like steak. I ate grain-fed prime rib roast a few days ago (at a friend's) and it tasted like... nothing. Grass-fed beef tastes like beef.

Buy some of both - whatever it is - and do a side-by-side comparison. If you can afford to buy the calories you need and do it pastured, you'll find a way.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    do your own research and figure it out for yourself.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    This:

versus this:

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    ^Jesus Christ....

It's highly worth it. Once you go grass-fed, you'll never go back. I gag at the thought of CAFO beef now. It doesn't even taste like the same animal.

You should see "King Corn." One part of the documentary is about what happens to cows who are forced to eat corn. If they weren't slaughtered at their certain age, they would die pretty soon thereafter anyway ... from what the corn does to them.

As my ex-BF used to say: "Pay the farmer or pay the doctor. It's your choice."
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    do your own research and figure it out for yourself.
    This...and trust me, once the research is done you will wonder why you ever ate CAFO meat to begin with. If price is a concern, get yourself a chest freezer and buy in bulk. You'll find the price difference isn't so bad this way. It's a big pay out up front, but you won't need to buy again for a long time. And when you weigh it against the health benefits(for both you and the animal) it's really a no brainer.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    One good reason to buy organic eggs - they are a cheap source of excellent protein, even paying a premiumfor farm fresh or organic. I pay $4/dozen. That's $1.00 for 3 eggs. So if money is tight at a minimum buy good eggs.

Organic meat is more expensive per serving, but it has the right kinds of omegas that your body needs. I buy organic ground beef and chicken thighs at Costço. The rest of my eat is usually conventional.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Go in on 1/16 of a cow with people locally. A good butcher can probably hook you up with others looking to cow-pool. It's a good way to get about 35 lb of awesome meat relatively cheap.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    If you can find some local farms to get your eggs, veggies and meat from - you can often get it for the same price as the supermarket or less. So you don't really have to 'fork over' for the good stuff. It takes a little effort but it's well worth it. Paying 3 times as much at the store? Not so much.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast