Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to replace protein powder with? (and other hardgainer questions) page

tarek is offline Senior Member

What to replace protein powder with? (and other hardgainer questions)

This might be a lengthy post, so I apologize in advance.

I'm a very slender guy. I'm 20 years old, and I weigh 150 pounds. In the past few months, I've been trying to build some more muscle mass. I've seen results so far (I weighed around 140-145 pounds prior), but I want to change a few things. I worked out today, and it was pretty typical of what I've been doing, so here's how I worked out/ate (the dairy is an experiment, btw):

-No breakfast
    -12:00 PM: Worked out for about 20 minutes (loads of push-ups, dips, curls, and carrying some heavy water bottles around my house)
    -12:30 PM: PWO drink/snack - 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 cup raw milk, egg white protein powder (24g protein), 1 banana, 1 cup of blueberries
    -1:30 PM: PWO meal - 3 egg omelet with salsa and feta cheese, 1 can of tuna (I would normally have a real cut of meat, but I didn't have anything else on hand), 1 sweet potato + 1 tbsp. butter
    -4:00 PM: 1 cup raw milk, 1 banana, 40g dark chocolate (88% cacao)
    -7:00 PM: 2 chicken legs (about 12oz), smoothie (1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 avocado, five small strawberries, 1 banana)

I would have had more vegetables, but I didn't have any left today. With that said:

1. I want to cut out the protein powder. I've tried various types of whey protein and don't like it. Egg white protein powder sits better with me, but there are some problems -- I usually feel fatigued, moody, and heavy when I consume it, and I've noticed that the more I use it, the more prominent the wrinkles on my forehead become. Odd, but it happens. I've considered trying brown rice protein, but I think I'd rather just eat real food. From reading around, I've gathered that it's good to have around 70-100 grams of protein in the first two hours PWO if you're looking to build/maintain. First of all, is this even true? And secondly, what should I replace the powder with?

2. I've read about milk being beneficial for building, so I experimented this week and bought a gallon of raw milk. I drank about 2-3 cups on workout days, and 1 cup on rest days. For me, non-raw dairy results in fatigue, acne, and moodiness, but raw dairy does almost the opposite. It's definitely giving me some results in terms of size, but I'm feeling kind of "doughy" -- I'm not sure if it's the milk or the large amounts of fruits I've been eating. I'll probably cut out the milk first and see if that helps. My question here: how many carbohydrates should I be eating on workout days? I know the general consensus here is to obtain carbohydrates from starchy foods like sweet potatoes, but I feel much better when I get them from fruit. Potatoes, rice, etc. tend to make me feel overfull and lethargic.

Thanks for taking the time to read that! Haha. Any tips/advice will be appreciated. Feel free to critique anything you see fit! :]
    Last edited by tarek; 01-21-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    So I'm not going to comment on how to gain (not my area of expertise!)--but where is your FAT? It seems pretty low to me...

Really? I had around a cup of coconut milk, two cups of raw milk, a tablespoon of butter, two tablespoons of olive oil (some added added to the omelet, and the tuna was packed in it), dark chocolate, half an avocado, and two chicken legs with the skin on. Should I be eating more than that?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my husband is also a "hardgainer." he does best on the "dave diet" which is basically primal. (his friend dave introduced/created it). i'll see if he'll weigh in on what he does.

he has been protein powder free since 2002. thank god. that stuff is nasty. and it stinks. and it's really hard to get off of one's cups and glasses when someone doesn't RINSE it. (a thing he still doesn't do with dishes, btw). anyway, i'll ask.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I plugged most of your foods into Fitday-- and you end up around 150 or so grams of fat. I eat that much and I am only eating 1500 calories (a slight deficit to lose my last few pounds of belly fat.)

It just doesn't seem like enough, considering your weight/desire to gain. How about adding some raw cheese to up your protein and fat?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    here's DH's daily do, he said i could put this up, but he's currently not lifting heavy and way down on his weight (due to injuries), but super lean for sure, and still good sized muscle (imo), though none of his clothes fit!

1. breakfast 6:30 am (he gets up at 5:30, does a workout or whatever he's doing that morning, then he and the baby make breakfast from 6:15 to 6:30, then they eat): 4 eggs fried in butter (abt 2 tbsp), steamed veggies (as much as you want, he usually has about two cups) plus another tablespoon of butter, tbsp of flax oil, and 1/3 tbsp cod liver oil, cup of yogurt and mixed berries or banana (more calories in the banana), two brazil nuts;

2. snack at 10:00 am: orange serving of pumpkin seeds (soaked), 25 grams dark chocolate;

3. Lunch at 12:30: BAS with olive oil plus some meat (whatever we have left over, usually);

4. snack at 4:00: apple with almond/brazil nut butter, glass of raw milk, and either more chocolate or some veggie slices or what have you;

6. dinner at 8:00 or so: meat of some kind made in a crock pot, plus veggies (as much as we want), sometimes some yogurt or milk or kefir after, and so on.

He figures the snacks would expand into meals. he agrees with the idea of "eat when you are hungry" and he also will snack on a fair few avocados, bacon, etc.

anyway, an idea.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Your diet should be seventy to eighty percent fat. Too much protein and too little non protein food is a recipe for problems. Drop the protein powder and eat steak instead. The great bodybuilders of yesteryear used steak and eggs as their secret to bulking up.

The Gallon of Milk a Day thing is from Mark Rippetoe and does work, but I'm not sure its necessary. I'm also not sure its of any benefit to you since you are not doing Rippetoe's mass building program or anything similar. Rippetoe's program: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Thanks for the responses!

@Bushrat: would you say there's a legitimate need to eat lots of protein when trying to build mass, or is fat more critical?

@zoebird: tell your husband thanks!
    Last edited by tarek; 01-23-2011 at 05:43 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think you need more "FOOOOOOD".... eat a ribeye/chuck steak and gorge on beef roasts post workout, eggs/omelettes...i would replace your coconut milk/raw milk/protein smoothie thingy with real food, meat meat meat with a glass of raw milk

Fitastic is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Protein powder is not nasty! Some of you get so frickin' anal about eating that it takes the fun out of it! This isn't neuroscience! To gain more muscle you need to eat more.Your calories should be around 3,000-3,500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast