Thread: Lower back ache related to low carb?? page

sunflower is offline Junior Member

Lower back ache related to low carb??

Hi, I am new here. I just finished reading the Primal Blueprint book and started eating a PB diet one week ago. I'm a 34 year old female with about 30 pounds to loose. I don't have any health problems (that I am aware of). I've been keeping a food journal on fitday.com this week and counting calories and carbs. I know I have been staying in the 50-100 g carb range this week as recommended in the book, which is significantly less than what I had been eating. I have not been doing any exercise yet because I am recovering from a sprained ankle from three weeks ago, but I plan to soon. Anyway, everything has been going fine until last night I noticed my lower back was kind of achy. Then all day today it has been aching very much, kind of on and off, but mostly on. Very uncomfortable. I freaked out a little bit earlier today thinking it was my kidneys hurting or something but then I realized my kidneys are more in the middle of my back and this ache is definitely more lower back just below my waist and on both sides of my back, but more pronounced on the left. I can't think of any reason why my back would ache, like I said, no exercise recently, and it doesn't feel like muscle, more an internal ache. I did some google searches on back ache and low carb and found lots of other people claiming to have the same symptoms after starting a low carb diet but no answers on what could be the cause. Has anyone else on here ever experienced something similar? I just don't know whether I should be concerned or not, or even if this is really related to low carb but I thought I would ask because I am worried.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I don't think its diet related considering you are not so very low carb and don't think it would be an issue of too much protein and then over-worked kidneys.
    Do some stretches, drink lots of water and see how you go.
    What exactly where you eating?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    The "too much protein = overworked kidneys" is from a very flawed study done with RABBITS. Rabbits who are natural HERBIVORES. Yes... for some reason when you give a natural herbivore tons of animal protein, it overworks their kidneys. Go figure. DUH.

Sue
    Yeh I know. But that is what most are probably thinking when they say that low carb may have contributed to lower back pain around the kidney area. The CW is to bring out the old gem of too much protein and overworked kidneys.

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    I've just been eating lots of meat and eggs and some veggis. I have the primal blueprint cookbook also so lots of my recipes for the week have been from there. Yesterday I did end up having a particularly high protein day (137 g).

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    What else have you varied in your diet besides protein? Maybe you have an allergy to eggs, nightshades, dairy or something else that you've never noticed before but now you've suddenly increased your consumption of the inflammant and are having side effects?

Also, are you sure thats it not just a back ache from something you did, or from a mattress that is starting to become bad?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    My husband gets that lower back ache if his carbs go too low. He takes dandelion root capsules and it goes away. I do think it is his kidneys.

Sue
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thats quite a bit of protein. Maybe like previous poster the herb may be useful in flushing the kidneys.