Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I expect from PB? page

who
    who is offline Member

What can I expect from PB?

Shop Now
    (sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums!)

Hi everyone,
    I'm new on these boards. I've read much of MDA and am getting quite familiar with the concepts.
    What brought me here?
    I've always been concerned with health and nutrition, but lately it's becoming more relevent. I've devloped depression and binge eating disorder to some extent. I think my depression might be diet related. I also know that my binging is diet-related, as I only ever binge on carbs (usually oats). Right now my diet is very heavy in carbs.
    1. So one of my questions for you is, will PB alleviate my depression symptoms? Does this happen to many people? Coudl my depression be related to my carb intake? Do you hae any other reccomendations for alleviating depression with regards to diet/supplements? (keep in mind I'm a poor student; would rather not pay a lot on supplements).
    2. And regarding binging. Does PB pretty much eliminate it?
    3. Another question. If I lift weights 3x/weeks on the PB, will I see great gains? I want to get jacked (hey, I'm not going to lie). Right now I'm 6'1, 175 pounds, and am overall pretty lean (guessing around 10% bf). In the long run I'd love to get to 200lbs with maybe 6% bodyfat.
    4. Regarding finances. How important would it be to buy grass-fed over conventional super-market meat? I could do it financially, but I'd rather save money. I'm super cheap-ass. I used to eat pretty much only rice and beans because it's cheap. Now I've realized that health>total finanical independence.
    I have more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks!

Just so you know: my plan is to go strict on PB for a few months and then re-evaluate. I'm also going to do IF, right off the bat. Basically, at 5:00 or so and also right before bed (~11:00), eating primal foods exclusively.
    Last edited by who; 01-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by who View Post
    I've always been concerned with health and nutrition, but lately it's becoming more relevent. I've devloped depression and binge eating disorder to some extent. I think my depression might be diet related. I also know that my binging is diet-related, as I only ever binge on carbs (usually oats). Right now my diet is very heavy in carbs.
    1. So one of my questions for you is, will PB alleviate my depression symptoms? Does this happen to many people? Coudl my depression be related to my carb intake? Do you hae any other reccomendations for alleviating depression with regards to diet/supplements? (keep in mind I'm a poor student; would rather not pay a lot on supplements).
    I can share my experience. I find that my depression symptoms are significantly reduced when I minimize refined sugars and simple carbohydrates. It helps me to regulate my mood and energy levels, which in turn makes me less likely to fall into depressive funks. For a more severe depression, this might not be the case, but I find that I am a much more mentally healthy and happy person when I eat this way.

Same goes for binge eating. It's still a conscious decision I make every day, but by largely avoiding sugar and simple carbs, my desire to overeat largely goes away. Sometimes I eat bigger meals or more than I strictly need to be satisfied, but I don't sit down with bags and cartons of junk food and eat a ridiculous amount of food well beyond what I could possibly need (or really want).
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

who
    who is offline Member
    @ennasirk
    Thanks for sharing!
    I don't have severe depression. Just subtle enough to kind of put a damper on each day.
    Binge eating isn't overly extreme either. Perhaps I should ahve referred to it as 'overeating'.

So your post gives me hope. Thanks!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

I can say that I just all around feel better. I've been at it 9 months or so, and am doing the Whole30 challenge this month, and I feel great.

I think you'll be very pleased once you make the transition.

who
    who is offline Member
    @Angieh: Thanks! Looking forward to it.

who
    who is offline Member
    anything anybody has to add would be appreciated
    Thanks everyone

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i do think that there is a link between mental well being and food. that is, i believe that food can affect it. while i have not had depression myself (in any clinical way), many people who have various diagnosis seem to do better when their diets are "very clean" which includes forgoing sugar and grains. many of them are also quite low carb (under 50 g). they may not be "cured" (depending upon the severity and diagnosis), but most tend to feel and do better.

but, it also may not be the whole solution. there are layers to work on beyond this, usually. so, those need to be worked on too!

yes, it's possible to get jacked. you'll be fine. look at the pictures of everyone.

also, we prefer to buy the best quality, but we just recommend you just buy what you can afford, and as you can afford it, you buy the better quality (grass fed, grass finished, etc).

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by who View Post
    (sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums!)

Hi everyone,
    I'm new on these boards. I've read much of MDA and am getting quite familiar with the concepts.
    What brought me here?
    3. Another question. If I lift weights 3x/weeks on the PB, will I see great gains? I want to get jacked (hey, I'm not going to lie). Right now I'm 6'1, 175 pounds, and am overall pretty lean (guessing around 10% bf). In the long run I'd love to get to 200lbs with maybe 6% bodyfat.
    4. Regarding finances. How important would it be to buy grass-fed over conventional super-market meat? I could do it financially, but I'd rather save money. I'm super cheap-ass. I used to eat pretty much only rice and beans because it's cheap. Now I've realized that health>total finanical independence.
    I have more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks!

Just so you know: my plan is to go strict on PB for a few months and then re-evaluate. I'm also going to do IF, right off the bat. Basically, at 5:00 or so and also right before bed (~11:00), eating primal foods exclusively.
    1. Eating primal/paleo will help depression. So will getting adequate vitamin D3 (from sunlight or supplements). So will adequate exercise. So will getting enough sleep.

2. Eventually. Once you get beyond the low carb flu, and the sugar crashes and cravings, and are not cheating, and you are eating enough fat for satiety.

3. Depends what you call great gains. 200lbs at 6'1 is doable. But it won't happen overnight. Anyone who jacks up quickly is just stuffing their muscles full of fat. When you get to 200 lbs with 10% bf you may not want to drop to 6%. 10% is very lean and jacked. Every bro'tard bodybuilder underestimates bf percentages. So when they say a guy has 10% bf he probably has closer to 20% bf. What they call 6% bf is probably 10 or 12% bf.

4. What is more important health or money? Grass fed really matters IMO.

If you want to build muscle, then build muscle. Don't IF. IF'ing will make it hard for you to gain muscle and it will sap your will power. Trying to go straight from a diet of beans and rice to IFing is a good way to fail. Better to eat primal whenever you feel hungry or you will develop overwhelming sugar and carb cravings. Leave IF'ing for when you have the foundations of primal eating under control.
    Last edited by Bushrat; 01-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.

who
    who is offline Member
    @Bushrat
    I think you might be right about IFing. That is, holding off till I'm firmly established in PB.
    Clearly IF is the healthiest route to go, but I have to know my limits. Just eating PB foods alone is going to take a lot of drive.
    So good point. Thanks so much for your advice!

who
    who is offline Member
    @Zoebird
    Thanks for your reply. That helps me out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast