Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Antler Velvet? page

hckyfn80 is offline Junior Member

Deer Antler Velvet?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone read or heard about this (see links below)? It's been in the news recently because pro athletes (NFL) are using it.

Apparently, deer velvet can be taken off the antlers and then ground down and ingested as a powder or spray. The result is that those who ingest see an increase in naturally occuring IGF-1 production similar to what using illegal synthetic HGH does (at least I think - I'm not too well versed in science).

I don't really care about the pro athlete aspect of the story. Rather, it makes me wonder if deer antler velvet is at all Primal related. I mean, would Grok, in his effort to utilize every single part of a deer carcass that he hunted, scrape off the felt and ingest it somehow? I don't think it's that far-fetched. It's interesting that there could be a natural substance (not lab made) that can have a profound effect.

Btw, I e-mailed this topic to Mark asking him to possibly address this subject in a future post. Of course, he might not get around to it for whatever reason, and so I wanted to bring it up on the forum for people's reaction and/or insight.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/slan...eadlights-look

http://www.thirdage.com/news/deer-an...etes_1-20-2011

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I've been pretty interested in trying out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSH7CLj4TE

Russ is offline Senior Member
    sounds like bullshit at first glance.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading the label of a bottle in the health food store, for libido enhancement. It was deer antler velvet (I never tried it). Too scared of taking something that might raise my blood pressure or something.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    sounds like bullshit at first glance.
    Yeah, I agree...it does sound like bs...at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't do all the things people claim it does (like in the video Tarek linked, which is interesting btw). However, it must do something - if it didn't elevate or cause increase production of IGF then why would professional sports leagues be looking to ban it (and that, to me, is where the dilemma occurs because it's not a lab created chemical - it's a substance that nature makes!)?

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hckyfn80 View Post
    Yeah, I agree...it does sound like bs...at first glance. I'm sure it doesn't do all the things people claim it does (like in the video Tarek linked, which is interesting btw). However, it must do something - if it didn't elevate or cause increase production of IGF then why would professional sports leagues be looking to ban it (and that, to me, is where the dilemma occurs because it's not a lab created chemical - it's a substance that nature makes!)?
    placebo effect? That's what most of the pseudo-science stuff works off of.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    placebo effect? That's what most of the pseudo-science stuff works off of.
    True, but pro sports leagues such as the NFL would not ban based on a placebo effect. The drug test results have to be positive. From one of the articles "For the elite athlete, experts say it’s essentially a human growth hormone, one of the substances organized sports is trying to keep out." Now, I know the word expert gets thrown around way too much, but that doesn't sound like a placebo effect to me.

I guess my point in bringing this topic up is that I could easily see Grok eating this. He hunts a deer and then does all the stuff that we normally assume he would do (eat the meat, eat the edible organs, use the hide for clothing/shelter, etc.)...why wouldn't he possibly scrape the felt off and then grind it down and eat it as well? And, if so, is this something that could be included in a Primal lifestyle?

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    It's a Chinese traditional medicine thing, so it might do some good. If i ever take down a deer, even though I don't hunt, I have got to try this.

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member
    I recall my father-in-law making Chinese home remedies that incorporated small deer antlers. The big deal was that it had to have the velvet on it. Apparently it's been used in Chinese medicine for a very long time. What effect it has, I don't know, but this stuff was only given to adult males.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Deer antler velvet is a classic Chinese medicine ingredient. For a good description of its benefits, read this:
    http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006

PS- any time you see the "kidneys" talked about in Chinese medicine, it indicates an effect on the hormonal and endocrine systems (which is why libido is one of the things antler velvet is used to treat).

I did use antler velvet years ago (Planetary Formulas brand) for about 3 months, to heal my gut lining. It's very good for this. An unexpected side effect was much better muscle tone. My arms looked buff and I wasn't working out! So, it would seem that some of the claims do bear out
    Some people could experience side effects from it, if they tend to run hot, temp-wise. It's a very "yang"/hot herb (great for us cold folks!) but not something that should be overused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast