Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eatin' bugs page

chowza is offline Member

Eatin' bugs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seems like a sound idea, but I'm still getting used to including exotic things like liver in my diet. Is anybody here into bug eatin'?

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...bugs-and-worms
    Check out my blog here.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Recently added liver (still working on liking it). Bugs, um, no.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowza View Post
    Seems like a sound idea, but I'm still getting used to including exotic things like liver in my diet. Is anybody here into bug eatin'?

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...bugs-and-worms
    This article is simply trying to get Americans used to the fact that they will soon no longer be able to afford to eat meat. They want to try and make you feel better while you are starving by trying to convince you that you are helping the planet. The truth is that the Chinese and other wealth producing nations will be buying all the meat.

As far as liver goes, I've been buying some pate at the store made with chicken and duck livers and it's awesome. I just eat it plain as a snack.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Speak to Diana Renata about bugs

It's only really us Western nations that *don't* eat them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, I love my bugs. I have a successful mealworm farm at the moment and made some treats using coconut cream and dark chocolate. Quite delicious. I'm hoping to expand into grasshoppers and crickets this summer, assuming I have the time. I've been curious to try large spiders and grubs. Unfortunately there are few large bugs here in upstate NY to harvest wild. It seems I'll be doing much of my bug foraging online.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to try eating some bugs I'm a HUGE fan of eating anything I haven't eaten before (that is food :-P ) but being stretched pretty thin (financially), and seemingly unable to find a trusted source of cheap/easy to get bugs...as of yet I have not tried them... I'm told you can eat the crickets that they sell at the pet store, but that you will 'want to feed them real food' for a couple of weeks to make them healthier/not packed full of cardboard crap and I can't afford the tanks and such right now to house them... :-/

chowza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    This article is simply trying to get Americans used to the fact that they will soon no longer be able to afford to eat meat. They want to try and make you feel better while you are starving by trying to convince you that you are helping the planet. The truth is that the Chinese and other wealth producing nations will be buying all the meat.

As far as liver goes, I've been buying some pate at the store made with chicken and duck livers and it's awesome. I just eat it plain as a snack.
    Guess it's time to gird ourselves for the upcoming meat exodus! Time to concoct some grubworm-and-pate recipes and stock up the freezer!

(You're probably right, btw--just partially so, I hope...)
    Check out my blog here.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    I'd love to try eating some bugs I'm a HUGE fan of eating anything I haven't eaten before (that is food :-P ) but being stretched pretty thin (financially), and seemingly unable to find a trusted source of cheap/easy to get bugs...as of yet I have not tried them... I'm told you can eat the crickets that they sell at the pet store, but that you will 'want to feed them real food' for a couple of weeks to make them healthier/not packed full of cardboard crap and I can't afford the tanks and such right now to house them... :-/
    Farming bugs is surprisingly cheap.

2 shoe-box size bins from the dollar store, a large canister of oatmeal, a canister each of nutritional yeast and wheat germ, and a constant supply of vegetable scraps for hydration. I say I might spend $20 a year... though it takes a good several months to build up enough for a meal- lol

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowza View Post
    Guess it's time to gird ourselves for the upcoming meat exodus! Time to concoct some grubworm-and-pate recipes and stock up the freezer!

(You're probably right, btw--just partially so, I hope...)
    Live Cattle Prices for the past 25 years

The link above shows prices for live cattle futures contracts. The price trend since 2010 looks concerning.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    The more I watch Man vs Wild (not my choice, my 5-year-old is addicted to it and it's loads better for her than most crap on tv), the more sanguine I become about the thought of eating bugs. I may be able to actually do it in a few more years. I think if I were really hungry, I could munch grubs without difficulty. Especially if they were crispy and fried - those actually look pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast