Thread: Primal Bug Spray? page

Beastman is offline Senior Member

Primal Bug Spray?

Shop Now
    I know spring is a few months off but I was thinking about this the other day. I've been doing no soap/shampoo since I started doing primal last tuesday and it's been good. My skin and hair feel smoother and my adult acne has subsided. I was thinking about all the hiking I'm going to be doing come spring and wondered if there were primal alternatives for bug repellent. Traditional bug sprays tend to dry my skin out, however that was before ns/s. What do you grokkers use to keep the bugs at bay?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i made it through hiking last spring without using any bug spray at all. keeping moving helped, and there seemed to be less bugs, but i seemed to do fine without wearing anything. i do keep a small bottle of spray in my pack, just in case though. i'm curious to see what suggestions people have.

Someguy is offline Member
    Depends on how primal you want to get. Grok used mud, but I'm going to assume thats not what your looking for.

This article should answer any questions you have: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthi.../aa050503a.htm
    Without music life would be a mistake.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Wait, you mean deet isn't primal?

Lemongrass is a natural deterrent, but I'm not sure how that would be applicable...
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Wait, you mean deet isn't primal?

Lemongrass is a natural deterrent, but I'm not sure how that would be applicable...
    I don't know that it isn't, but I'm trying to keep as many chemicals off and out of my body as possible. I guess I was wondering what other people used if anything.

@Someguy thanks for the link it was really informative

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    You can make your own using essential oils bought from your local health food store. You could also buy one online, but being that bug spray is considered a medicinal product, I wouldn't trust a small handmade company to do the job.

You could either mix it into a blend of coconut oil and the esential oils, or mix it with distilled water (or vodka) and glycerin in a spray bottle. You'd just have to shake it before use.

Some good EOs that are skin safe are;

Peppermint
    Tea Tree
    Eucylyptus
    Lavender
    Citronella

Only add these EOs to no more than 3-5% of your TOTAL formulation.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Drink cayenne pepper in water before you go out. You could also spritz cayenne onto your skin. Bugs haaaaaate it.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I used to use pennyroyal and citronella oils because they were natural. Then I noticed that when the pretty smell wore off, I smelled just like I had sprayed myself with Raid. Guess where they find the active ingredients in most drugs/repellents/insecticides/herbicides/etc? Too funny.

Eating lots of garlic is supposed to help. Especially if your hiking buddy didn't eat any.

Gordo

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    You could either mix it into a blend of coconut oil and the essential oils, or mix it with distilled water (or vodka) and glycerin in a spray bottle. You'd just have to shake it before use.

Some good EOs that are skin safe are;

Peppermint
    Tea Tree
    Eucylyptus
    Lavender
    Citronella
    I make one with three parts distilled water, one part ethanol rubbing alcohol (or Vodka if it is easier to find) and one part glycerine. I add to that two to three drops each of lavender, marjoram, cedar, geranium, juniper and citronella essential oils. Shake before use. Smells soooo much better than store bought bug spray. I spray the tent with it too, keeps the bugs out PLUS gets rid of that slightly damp nylon been in storage all winter smell tents have.

Side note, a drop of lavender oil on a bee sting help calm the sting and reduces swelling. Also good for minor burns and bug bites. I don't go camping /hiking without a bottle of lavender oil with me.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group