Thread: PMS and cravings! page

puddlefoot is offline Junior Member

PMS and cravings!

Aargh!

I do great except for the last week of my cycle when suddenly my body goes on autopilot and the chocolate just suddenly appears in my hand (how did that get there!).

I took some extra magnesium, I had 1/4 lb hamburger patty, collards, broccoli and sweet potatoes with butter for breakfast and I am still dying for something... I ate and ate yesterday. Mostly protein because I was trying not to eat chocolate but I am in the midst of my monthly cravings and it is HARD!

Any suggestions for bringing the beast under control? This frequently ends in a couple of months of binging on simple carbs and I really don't want to go there.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat. Seriously. You're body needs more fat and iron during that time. I like this breakfast in the mornings during my time: take an egg crepe and fill it with some smoked or baked wild salmon and melt some onion & chive cream cheese, add some mushrooms, garlic and chopped tomatoes and then put the cream cheese mixture over the crepe. Really, really good stuff. I've found that the more fat I eat the first few days before and druing my beastly time, I'm better off with.
    Georgette

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to echo more fat. I'm not PMSing right now, but I am doing a sugar-free challenge this week after a few weeks of mindlessly dipping into the candy jar every afternoon, and I've been having a quarter cup of cream every night for dessert. I whip it (so it's like a half cup of whipped cream) with nothing else, and it satisfies me like any sweet snack would.

Also, maybe have another hamburger patty. But I'm biased -- when I PMS, I crave meat.

puddlefoot is offline Junior Member
    Sounds good. I'll give the fat a try. I have been craving nuts and dairy as well but I had been trying to cut those out. Maybe that aggravated the problem.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Some months are worse than others. I try to keep some VERY dark chocolate in the house, but I limit myself to two bars no matter what. That particular week of the month, I tend to read through Martin's marshmellow post: http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/marshmallow-test.html In other words....try to stay busy as hell. I also have a problem with dairy cravings that week. If there's any greek yogurt in the house, it's a goner.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is what works for me...

You can get really dark chocolate in individually wrapped squares. (I'm thinking Ghirardelli here.)

Make a ritual: Put 1 ounce of salted almonds and 1 square of dark chocolate (still in its wrapper) on a plate. Step away from the plate for 15 minutes. If you still have cravings 15 minutes later, eat it. (The almonds and chocolate, not the plate.)

Good luck! I hope this helps.