Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared ... page

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi,

I've just joined, and have only recently stumbled upon Mark's awesome site. I've been struggling with the paleo diet ... but will now try PB.

I was a former athlete, but in my mid-twenties went from 240lbs (6'-6") to over 580lbs in 2 years. The doctors said it was in my "head" - but thereafter, I was finally diagnosed with high cortisol and abnormal glucose metabolism. (A lot of hypoglycemic epdisodes) I was bed ridden at nearly 600lbs, but have managed to finally make it down to 316lbs now.

HOWEVER, I'm scared ... I live in the constant fear of hypoglycemic episodes ... and today I've just started the Primal Blueprint -

Are there any others out there who have suffered with hypoglycemia and had success on PB?

Today, I"ve had nearly no carbs ... but sit here "Waiting" for the faint feeling, weakness and shakes to start ... UGH! Any tips would be appreciated!

(Also, I do 90 minutes of bicycling per night on Air Dyne - which is why I've come down from 341bs to 316lbs since August 1st.)

Sincerely,

Mr. Mesolithic

Griff is offline Senior Member

The hypoglycemia is a reaction to eating carbs. It's unlikely that you'll have it if you've had no carbs, or had enough protein with the minimal carbs you can't avoid to block a hypoglycemic reaction.

I'm in a similar (though not identical) boat - I'm Type II diabetic, 362 right now, started eating Primally six weeks ago at 397. Haven't had a hypo episode yet - and my blood sugars are getting normalized faster than I've ever expected they would.

Be prepared for a hypo, but if you're holding firm to Primal eating - fats, then proteins, then minimal fibrous non-starchy carbs - you should be fine.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Thanks for the reply Griff -

Had you had prior hypo episodes before the new lifestyle? (reactive hypo)?

If you're working out, how do you eat prior to the workout to ensure you don't "hit the wall" or "bonk" during the session?

My fasting glucose is usually around 93, at least it was, I won't know what it is now for a while, as I don't feel like spending the cash on glucose sticks.

I did get rather weak this afternoon - but had lamb and broccoli - to stave that off as I convert.

Also, I'm taking Pantothentic Acid, which is supposed to help with adrenal and using fatty acids for energy.

Griff is offline Senior Member

I don't eat until after I work out. And I haven't had many hypos, but I admit most of them have come after exercise. I'm still learning this process myself - Type IIs who aren't using medication rarely have hypos, and the only time I did was during the week I was foolishly taking Glyburide (never again!).

My husband (by the way, I'm a guy too, just to clear that up before the confusion starts) has had reactive hypoglycemia due to having gastric bypass surgery, but not since we went Primal. He is amazed that he hasn't had a single episode of hypo since we started eating all protein and fat, all the time. Frankly, it makes me happy to see him doing so well.

You should monitor your glucose if you have blood sugar problems. There's a few sellers on amazon.com who sell new boxes of test strips for much less than pharmacies do. I use them and have had no problems.

The broccoli was a good idea for your weakness this afternoon - and while you're in the purging phase of going Primal (the week or so when your body says "ACK WHY AREN'T YOU EATING CARBS ANYMORE??" and freaks out and causes you to crave) it is going to be tough. But you can do this.

I rarely work out for more than 20 minutes per session. Get Mark's book and read about Chronic Cardio and how it really doesn't help. My workouts are usually either 20 minutes of freeform aerobic dance, a 23-minute aerobics/weights video that a friend here sent me called Pay It Forward which is designed by the guy who does P90X for heavy people like us, or just walking.

Best of luck to you!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Great post Griff -

I didn't know about strips on Amazon - I'll check that out -

Yes, I definitely feel the "withdrawal" today - not a whole lot of energy, headache, brain-fog, general malaise ...

20 minute workouts would almost seem like heaven after my 90 minute bike rides - that kill my butt, I'll check into that - I'll have to nix that old school belief that you have to do chronic cardio to burn the fat. If you look at your results, you've actually lost MORE weight than I have, with less exercise in 6 weeks. I've done 1,000 miles of biking too LOL.

Right now I"m rejoicing that I found out Mayonnaise has 0 carbs, the highlight of my day so far LOL -

Good luck on the fat loss - I was once almost 200 lbs heavier than your highest weight!

Mr. Meso...

groquette is offline Senior Member

Mr Mesolithic -- welcome to the tribe!

Someone posted this link recently:

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin

... just in case you were still thinking that cardio might help

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Hi Groquette -

Thanks for the warm welcome -

WOW... wow ... I read the article and wow is all I can think - it goes against the ancient athlete and all it was taught back when I was younger.

It makes sense, but I feel like Neo, did I take the blue pill? I might try a different workout tonight - assuming I have the energy -

Right now I feel almost like I have "induction flu" - my body is doing what Griff said ... my body is like,

"Uh, Mr. Meso ... this is highly irregular!"

Headache, joints ache, UGH ... I don't know how you all got through this phase ... and this is just day 1 ... at least I've not gone totally hypoglycemic yet, nor passed out ...

Now, if the Bengals could just WIN for once, I'd call it an okay Day 1 on Primal!

:-)

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Oh, how in the heck are you all adding the avatars? Do I only get my avatar once my sticks are purple LOL?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Mr. Meso.....

Welcome to the tribe!

Second, check out gravitar. You can add an avitar there ;-)

Mr Mesolithic Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks Kuno - I'll try and find Gravitar - thanks for the warm welcome -

GOT KETONES?

LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast