Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help boosting our immune system! page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

Help boosting our immune system!

My husband and I have been very healthy for years, never more than one cold a year or so...until we became parents. Since our 19 months old daughter meets with other kids, we are constantly sick, coughs, colds, stomach flues. The child usually coughs three times, has a fever for 24 hours and recovers (which is good). We, on the other hand, can be pretty sure that when her nose is runny we are going to be seriously sick in some days. Our lifestyle is pretty healthy, we exercise and spend much time on the fresh air...I have tried Acerola powder for vitamin C but it caused severe stomach problems for me. My husband is sick right now (for the second time since Christmas) and would love to hear some advice...
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Sonnenblume; 01-22-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Tadas is offline Member
    Since taking 5000iu Vitamin D and some fishoil every day I never get sick.

How to get these supps in germany:
    In Deutschland ist es nicht so leicht den Kram zu bekommen daher hier zwei Tipps: Vitamin D kann man in jedem britischem Online Shop bestellen, weil der Zoll die Pakete innerhalb der EWG nicht kontrolliert. In der Apotheke bekommt man nämlich sonst nur 1000iu zu einem unverschämten Preis und in schlechter Qualität (nicht in Öl gelöst).
    Meine letzte Bestellung habe ich beim Ebay-Shop BigVits gemacht und es hat mal wieder gut geklappt. Ich nehme immer "NOW" oder "Healthy Origins". Fischöl ist ebenfalls überteuert, lässt sich aber günstig aus den USA bei iherb.com bestellen. Gut herunter zu bekommen ist "Nature's Answer". Nach 2-3 Monaten regelmäßiger Einnahme besonders von Vitamin D solltest du ziemlich resistent sein.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Tadas; 01-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    If it's any consolation, my husband & I were frequently getting colds from my son during his first 2 or 3 years. He was in daycare and it's a germ factory, no matter how hygenic they are. The good news is, as my son got older, all of our immune systems seem to get tougher and we don't get colds that often anymore.

Also, the stress of being a new parent and the frequent lack of sleep didn't help, but it got better over time for us. Hopefully it will for you too. And I also take vitamin D now (extra in the winter), and it seems to help.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    If you're new agey, meditation and 'body awareness' is supposed to improve immune function. I read about it in The Power of Now. A truly amazing book.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I second the Vitamin D--I've taken 8,000 IUs for over a year and not been sick. Make sure you get an oil-based D3. I like Carlson's Solar D Gems, but there are many others.

iherb.com (see link below) delivers internationally for $4 USD. Best prices.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I also agree with Vitamin D. I take 4,000 iu's of D3 a day. I live in California and even in the winter I wear a t-shirt and shorts so I get adequate sun everyday on top of my vitamin D supplements. Also, make sure you and your husband is getting your 8+ hours of sleep every night which I know can be challenging with kids. On this regimen I haven't been sick in over a year.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Tadas is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    iherb.com (see link below) delivers internationally for $4 USD. Best prices.
    Sonnenblume is from germany (afaik), so she should not buy at iherb because it's illegal to import Vit D (with more than 1000iu).

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadas View Post
    Sonnenblume is from germany (afaik), so she should not buy at iherb because it's illegal to import Vit D (with more than 1000iu).
    She can still buy from iherb as long as she stays at 1000 IUs, no?

Zoë is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics (and prebiotics (FOS/inulin) or lots of onions along with them in the beginning to feed the organisms) could also help tremendously. PubMed appears to confirm it. I use coconut water kefir, but anything fermented is better than a supplement.
    Last edited by Zoë; 01-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1) Increase your Vitamin D
    2) Drink Green/White Tea.
    3) Madre Labs, Immune Punch is a great product--->http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-Immu...rams/8951?at=0
    4) Olive Leaf Extract has been shown to boast the Immune System--->http://www.iherb.com/Olympian-Labs-I...les/14426?at=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast