Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything I can do to alleviate PMS bloating? page

lolov is offline Senior Member

Is there anything I can do to alleviate PMS bloating?

Every month, like clockwork, I gain a full pants size for the two weeks between ovulation and menstruation. I'm completely off grains, eat minimal dairy (i.e. I can't remember the last time), no nuts and minimal booze (like one or two glasses of wine a week - maybe.) I know progesterone causes bloating, but is there anything dietary I can do to alleviate it (other than take diuretics or drink diuretic tea)? My salt intake is the same throughout the month as well.

These are the supplements I'm taking:

Fish oil 5 grams/day
    CLA 2 big caplets (sorry, I don't remember the dosage... but they're Vitamin Shoppe brand)
    Vit D 10,000IU
    Multivite
    B-complex
    SAM-E 800mg
    L-Theanine 400mg (i sometimes take more of this if I'm feeling stressed or anxious)
    Zinc 50mg every other day
    Magnesium 400mg
    Adrenal support formula (herbs like rhodiola, etc.)

It's not a major issue, just an annoyance. My weight has been stable for the past couple of months, too (not losing anything, but not gaining, either) which I attribute to falling off the workout wagon until about a month ago when I started Crossfit.

I'm just hoping someone might have an idea that could help

Thank you!!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You could take a diuretic (and really need an Rx one), but I don't think that's healthy, so I agree that it's not a good idea.

The PMS water retention is hormone driven, and really not in your control. I'm well past TOM myself, but I always had both hunger (day before) and water retention (week before), and I know it is super annoying.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    B6 100 mg/day is supposed to help--are you already taking that amount in your B-complex?

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Other than the B6 100mg which is a good idea, you could try to raise your estrogen level to balance out all the progesterone that is bloating you. Some of the herbs do that (Black Cohosh, Red Clover, Soy Isoflavones) or you could obtain a natural human estrogen to take the last 10 days of the month, like estriol (E3) and see how that goes.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly, yes, I get 125mg in my bcomplex... and Canarygirl I'm really not a fan of attempting to manipulate hormones when it seems whatever they are doing is what they are supposed to do (the monthly fluctuations, I mean) does that make sense? It just doesn't feel right iykwim... I think it's safer to just take a diuretic (and I'm not a fan of that idea.) Too bad watermelon is out of season... I eat a bunch of that and pee it all out within hours LOLOL.

Thanks for the ideas I guess I'll have to try adjusting my expectations and just being OK with being bloaty for a couple of weeks. Probably not a bad lesson to learn ;-)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    Dragonfly, yes, I get 125mg in my bcomplex... and Canarygirl I'm really not a fan of attempting to manipulate hormones when it seems whatever they are doing is what they are supposed to do (the monthly fluctuations, I mean) does that make sense? It just doesn't feel right iykwim... I think it's safer to just take a diuretic (and I'm not a fan of that idea.) Too bad watermelon is out of season... I eat a bunch of that and pee it all out within hours LOLOL.

Thanks for the ideas I guess I'll have to try adjusting my expectations and just being OK with being bloaty for a couple of weeks. Probably not a bad lesson to learn ;-)
    OK, so nettle tea or dandelion root tea are regularly recommended to pregnant mamas for water retention. Think I will get some for myself--I've been living with the Menstrual bloating unnecessarily!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you on not manipulating your hormones if you can help it.

How long have you been on PB? I'm finding that the longer I'm on it (it's been about a year), the more my hormones are normalizing and the less I'm seeing of certain symtpoms, issues, whatever related to my period. I still get swollen/bloaty though.... although it's only for 5 or 6 days now, where before PB it was 2-1/2 weeks. Urgh.

I do drink dandelion root or nettle tea as well and it does really help. It's a natural diuretic, so I feel better about it, but try not to abuse it either.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I found that Red Clover and Black Cohosh worked great for me; others get a lot of good out of chasteberry or evening primrose oil. You may have to just try a couple different things. Also, I always kept diuretics around since I could gain 3-4 pounds of water weight; there are some decent natural alternatives. I didn't know it when I needed it, but caffeine in coffee and sodas can make pms worse.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Krill OIl.

I bow down to the power of krill oil and its ability to take away my mid-month migraines and unholy bitchiness. It has also compacted the whole event from 5 to 3 days and is much more manageable pain and flow wise.

I dropped to 2g of Fishoil from 4 and added 2g of krill.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to have the worst PMS...I had maybe one week out of four that I felt 'normal.' Now, i feel out of sorts for a day or two each month. What's worked for me: Vitamin E, 200 iu every other day or so (I was taking it every day, but I forget it sometimes).
    PB got me to two weeks of misery. Adding in fish oil/cod liver oil & vitamin d got me down to a week of misery. Nowadays, I have to watch the calendar, because I don't have the aches, pains and meltdowns that tell me where I am in my cycle. Good luck!!

Also: this is good reading about Vitamin E's effect on hormones http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vitamin-e.shtml
    Last edited by fitmom; 01-21-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast